Middle aged men playing punk.

Young people discover old music. Go figure...some might even want to see some version of those groups play live.

It also seems that young people grow older and continue to enjoy things from when they were younger.

Insane, I know.
No it’s far from being insane, it’s life. An old person is simply an aged young person with more life experiences and hopefully more meaningful, useful knowledge.
I’m 66 and I still love a lot of the things that I loved as a teen and when I was in my twenties, thirties, forties and so on, and one is Classic Rock and Roll.
You youngsters out there need to understand that it wasn’t called Classic Rock and Roll when I was young, neither was Rhythm and Blues called Classic R and B.
It’s funny to me that some think that aged guys/girls who still play Punk music or any music that they grew up with and still love, are weird and their music was only for “the rebellious youth” because that’s how Rock and Roll was categorized when I was young by the “experts”. And the same thing happened in the “Roaring Twenties”, short dresses, The Charleston, Flappers, and that my young unknown friends was 100 years ago.
So don’t be disheartened when you become old and people make fun of you for playing the music that you love because you’re too old and look stupid up there, yeah you will probably sound killer, but it’s all about the looks and their lack of truly understanding.

Or you can simply pick another style of music to play that the critics feel more closely matches your appearance, Dueling Banjos maybe?

Strummerfan

I grew up on punk and still enjoy it at 51. If you want to see a punk musician who grew old gracefully and tastefully check out ex clash frontman Joe Strummer and the Mescalaros. Sometimes I think I like them better than the Clash.

Dadaserf

The OP’s suggesting you follow rules of music engagement.

The people I look up too always seem to dismay them.
:dude

OJT1212

Never Mind the Bollocks - not much about parents and school
The Clash - not much about parents and school
Rattus Norvegicus and No More Heroes (The Stranglers) - not much about parents and school
Damned, Damned, Damned - not much about parents and school
Blondie - not much about parents and school

Maybe Rock and Roll High School by The Ramones and White Punks on Dope by The Tubes

I cannot think of much Punk that was about parents and school.

What's a guy like Nick Cave meant to do? Take up accountancy?

The Adolescents- The Blue Album.
The Descendants- Milo Goes to Collage- Somery
Social Distortion- Mommies Little Monster
Youth Brigade- Sink with California
Minor Threat- the blue album
DRI- Dirty Rotten LP, Dealing With It.

on and on.

sirthought

I haven't read anything beyond the first page, but...what an asshole opinion.

Art is art. That's not tied to any age. Let artist create and perform whatever they feel is viable for them. If you don't like it, don't partake.

No one is saying how old you have to be for most any other genre, except rock and sub-genre rock. Is a young kid too young to play classical? Are all punkers suppose to suddenly switch to the blues or acoustic music? What kind of take is that?

No one claims an age ceiling with painters, dancers, actors. If you can do it and people enjoy your output, then good for you.

And to the others making comments about how someone chooses to live with their job choice or clothing...just go back in the basement. Yeah, there have been people wearing stuff that I don't think flatters them, but I have that with anyone.

ducker 1

Fair enough, I stopped playing one of my favorite songs when I hit 30. I still love it but I decided not to play Alice Cooper’s ‘Eighteen’ (33 years ago).

Anyway, I have questions:
What about punk that has a different lyric message?
What if it’s something that morphed from hardcore and punk into something else, that still has pretty clear DNA?
How about 40 years of garage rock but we’ve never played in a garage?
What if we just still like playing loud and fast?
Please advise...
;)
Alice can now sing Im 80

CanserDYI

IMHO Punk is all about youth rage. When I see reunion tours of bands like The Descendants, The Adolescents etc I can't help but roll my eyes. It's like a feeble attempt to recapture youth. I think guys like Mike Ness got it right. He made a pivot because he realized a 30 plus year old man singing about how his parents suck is absurd and weird.

Ending up like The Who playing My Generation at 70 isn't a good look. Just my $0.02.
The ones of us who grew up went to hardcore, just saying.

joelster

Silver Supporting Member
Never Mind the Bollocks - not much about parents and school
The Clash - not much about parents and school
Rattus Norvegicus and No More Heroes (The Stranglers) - not much about parents and school
Damned, Damned, Damned - not much about parents and school
Blondie - not much about parents and school

Maybe Rock and Roll High School by The Ramones and White Punks on Dope by The Tubes

I cannot think of much Punk that was about parents and school.

What's a guy like Nick Cave meant to do? Take up accountancy?

I think they are referring to Blink 182...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom