Middle child BIG MUFF - which circuit?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by S. F. Sorrow, Mar 11, 2015.

1. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

I was always curious how to classify my old Big Muff with the on/off power switch. It's between the Rams Head and the 'Pumpkin' (tone bypass) Muff.
    Which circuit does it resemble or is a thing of its own?
    Bought it new in 1977 (maybe 78?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

It's a v4 with what looks like a 3003 circuit board (http://www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_op_amp_history.html) I've also got a 1978 v4 with a 3003 board, but it doesn't look like this (it's more clearly printed) and it also has "hockey-puck" knobs and a tone bypass switch that's actually wired exactly like the v4's on/off. They were either confused during the transition period between v4s and v5s, getting drunk at work, or both... :D As for Corgan, he was using both v4 and v5s according to the video of him showing his collection.

3. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Thanks!
    Forgot to mention it has the pre 78 knob sweep.
    Maybe tomorrow I'll take it apart to see what's under the hood.

[​IMG]

4. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

In that case yours is probably a "version 4" v4, not a "let's try to ignore that hangover, see what boxes and boards are laying around & make some Big Muffs" v4 like mine. :D But it does sound gorgeous. Hearing out each individual string on full chords is not its strong suit but it's got "Siamese Dream" written all over it, even on a good clean amp and not necessarily in the then usual Corgan setup (I think JCM800 and 4x12 with a Lace Sensors Strat). I've tried to get rid of it in order to pay some bills - they're getting more and more expensive on Ebay - but in spite of a few modern clone attempts I'm worried I'll never find anything that sounds exactly like it in the future, so I'm keeping it...