Middle of the Day - new tune and backing track

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by journo, Feb 5, 2008.

1. journo

journo Member

Hi,

I really admire those who can do the major blues thing. The issue with me is always groove and timing and I feel I lack in both respects. That doesn't stop me from trying and I really enjoy playing in that style.

Last week when I was fooling around on my bass I found this bass riff (which is not new in any way) that I liked and that ended up in a new tune of the major blues shuffle variety.

You can find the tune here:
    http://lorenlingren.com/mats/Middle of the Day 080205.mp3

Those enjoying having a go at this style can download the track here:
    http://lorenlingren.com/mats/Middle of the Day BT 080205.mp3

This tune was mixed using a new set of studio monitors so I would appreciate if you had any thoughts on the mix.

Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers,

Mats N

2. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    Good melody, Good Tone, Good, Feel, Good Phrasing

I think that over the IV chord (F7) you should play the parent key MINOR blues pentatonic with the blue note (C minor pent. blues over F7) or even some parent key diminished stuff (C dim over F7)

This will gve some nice contrast to the major stuff

at times, it sounds like you are too self conscious about making the IV chord sound "Major"

You might want to explore dominant pentatonics over each one, also (1-2-3-5-b7)

The stuff you are playing when it goes V to IV and the V before I sounds great - really nice melodies

3. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Enjoyed that Matt.

Thanks for the BT too

Regarding the Mix............ through my NS10's maybe the Kit sounded a little hot in the mix ? ?

4. journo

journo Member

Hi yZe,

First of all I would like to say that I read and replied to your thread "Pats on the back" before reading this which was probably a good thing.
    You see, I was very apprehensive about posting this tune as I was very critical to my feeel, phrasing and timing. The sound was so and so in my own opinion. They seing your nick before reading the reply had me thinking that I had a bad time coming. :D

I was very worng and I was very surprised because it shows that what I feel I must work on as my first priority may not be the thoughts and any other listener.

I truly appreciate what you say in your post about the tune and the playing. You are ablolutely spot on when you comment on me being self conscious about playing so it sounds major. I've played so many minor blueses in my day and I'm so envious of people being able to play "major" effortlessly that I really wanted this to sound "major".

I know that areas of improvement for me is the transition from I to IV and the playing over the IV chord. Some guys here at TGP really has that down pat and if anyone can shed some light on these mysterious areas that would be appreciated. If you would use this BT and show what it would sound like would be even better.

So, in light of the "Pat on the back" thread AND your comments on my tune I must say that this kind on comment is very welcome and will bring improvment to my music.

Thank you for taking the time and making the effort.

Cheers,

Mats N

5. journo

journo Member

Hi Woody,

Thanks for the mix comment. Was the whole kit that was too prominent or just parts of it? I fought the hihat a bit.

Cheers,

Mats N

6. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Hi Matt,

Just had a few more listens and Snare and Toms jump out a bit. Cymbals seems fine mate.

Take my comment with a pinch of salt though!!!

I've mixed things here and taken them elsewhere only to find the mix different - NS10 tend to be toppy and so I tend to take too much top of my stuff only to find it too dark on other audio play backs. Might be the kits just cutting more on mine than is really the case accross other playbacks.

What monitors have you got ? looking around for additional pairs at the moment so any info will be greatfully absorbed

7. journo

journo Member

Hi Woody,

Just got the Adam A7 and they just blow me away. Sound very detailed with no harsh overbearing fatiguing treble, balanced mids, suprisingly good bottom end for their size and stereo imaging is very, very good.
    Comes highly recommended!

Cheers,

Mats N

8. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Cheers Matt for that nuget! I'll check them out now.

On a more personal note, I just read you response to yZe comments.

One thing I've learnt is that It's hard to know what tracks people will dig and don't. I've written tracks where I thought I played great and they have flopped and stuff I've almost binned 'cause I though the playing or tune were dull end up getting the nice feedback. You always have to write to please yourself first. If you get great feedback then that's the icing on the cake. Writing to anticipate good feedback is an emotional rollar coaster I can do without!.

God, I hope that didn't come accross as condescending!! wern't meant that way guv honest

9. journo

journo Member

Hi Woody,

I've had exactly that experience and nowdays I only write and record because I just enjoy it so much.

The reasons for posting here are:
    1. I honestly appreciate the pat on the back. If I don't get it, I can live with that. I don't need that roller coaster either.

2. I honestly think my backing tracks are good. Therefore I think some other guitar players regardless of skill may enjoy them.

3. I honestly think that I can learn from other players. If I provide them with my BT and they post their takes and I hear something I like then I have a very good understandning of the backing so I can learn what goes well over what background.

And no, you don't come across and condesending. Conveying nuances over the net where you only have the written word as a tool is truly a challenge. I have read your posts for a while so I didn't take it any other way than one friend relaying an experience to another.

Cheers,

Mats N

10. Frank Axtell

Frank Axtell Member

Isn't that the truth...I can relate completely...