Middle position on Les Paul

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wedewer, Aug 3, 2008.

1. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

Just trying to get some advice on how to better balance my burstbuckers in the middle position. I installed them myself, so I need a little help. When I try out the 59RI with bursbuckers, it doesn't get so "muddy" and "bassy" when you are in the middle position. Right now I have resorted to rolling of the volume knob on the neck position to even it out, but I think there is a better way. Is it as simple as raising the bridge and lowering the neck a little more?

2. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I lowered my neck pup on my R9. Left the bridge where it was and have been very happy ever since. Just keep messing with the pup heights.

3. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Yeah try that. And are you sure that you didn't mix the two up?

4. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

they were labled burstbucker 1 and 2 so I couldn't have messed them up.

5. playon

playon Supporting Member

Mess with the pickup height, sometimes the middle position sounds better with the bridge pickup lowered down a bit.. seems counter-intuitive but you're dealing with phase cancellation so it's tweaky. Changing the volume of the individual pickups is a different ball of yarn.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  6. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

...and the neck pu volume. When running both pu's you can get some great tones by turning it down to between 7 and 10 depending on the individual guitar. For most double humbucker guitars I've had, the sweet spot is around 8 1/2 to 9.

Tom