Middle position on tele is brighter than bridge alone

Aaron Mayo

I just wired up my tele with a sd broadcaster bridge and a schaller covered hb. Both are strong, no abnormal noise, all controls work as they should except the middle pos is super bright and thin. I am accustomed to the combo sound and it's not right.

Where did I go wrong? How to make it right?

Is there a way to get that thin sound as an option in addition to the correct sound? It's actually pretty cool and I can imagine some uses for it.

Thanks

Aaron Mayo

I assume you would do this on the bridge cause it's simpler? Is that gonna screw up the grounded baseplate? Bear with me, I just follow Seymour Duncan diagrams and it has always worked for me. Now I have to go off script.

Dale

What type wire is on each? If you have the braided old style wire on the bucker reversing the ground is not so easy in some ways.

Last edited:

dazco

If it's not just brighter but much thinner and weaker, then yes, it's likely the phase. But one a lot of 2 pickup guitars the middle does give a brighter tone, especially if the pickup heights are just right to cause that. That could be what he's hearing. My P90 LP special does this almost no matter where the pups are adjusted. If that turns out to be the case, try lowering the bridge pup a bit or raising the neck a bit depending on which one can go in that direction. In other words, if the bridge is already as low as you like it, raise the neck if it's not already too high and visa versa. Point is to get more output from the neck in relation to the bridge so the middle has more influence from the neck pup.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
You can get the normal sound switchable with the out of phase sound as you're getting it with a push pull pot.

IIRC Seymour Duncans don't use the same wire color scheme as other pickups, an it's not uncommon for people mixing an SD with another brand to get the result you got. I did myself years ago--and I liked the OOP sound enough that I had a push pull pot installed when I had some other work done on the guitar.

Dale

You can get the normal sound switchable with the out of phase sound as you're getting it with a push pull pot.

IIRC Seymour Duncans don't use the same wire color scheme as other pickups, an it's not uncommon for people mixing an SD with another brand to get the result you got. I did myself years ago--and I liked the OOP sound enough that I had a push pull pot installed when I had some other work done on the guitar.
I have encountered it as well a few times when working on others guitars. Each maker seems to wire things differently.

Gus54

I have a '69 thinline Fender with a Bill Lawrence Keystone (single coil) at the neck and an SD li'l '59 humbucker in the bridge. It states pacifically (not atlantically) on the Seymour Duncan site "when wiring Fender guitars and using the li'l '59 to wire with black as polarity and white to ground. I realize that yours is not a little '59 but........ checkout their site maybe. What you describe is an "out of phase" condition. Hope this helps, Gus

Trending Topics