MIDI advice????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lookslikemeband, Feb 3, 2008.

1. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

Hey gang -

I've been playing a 2 amp set-up for years (one dirty and one clean) and I pan between them. I also use a HUGE pedalboard (and am thinking of going to an effects processor)

I've been thinking of adding a 3rd amp head to my set-up and I want the options of picking the cleans/dirty from each amp as I choose - so I've thought about MIDI.

Questions, ideas and thoughts:

I'd like to take my MarkIV, Mesa Racktifier and another rackmounted amp for cleans and pick and choose which dirty amp I wanted (depending on the song).

I know this is possible by MIDI patches.

But could I still pan between an amp for dirty and an amp for clean (and have patches with effects for each selection)??

EXAMPLE:

Clean with phase/chorus panned to a nice dry distortion.

All suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

2. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Gold Supporting Member

Hopefully this isn't too spammy, but since no one else has responded... I make something that will do the job.

http://www.rjmmusic.com/rg16.php

Feel free to shoot me an email if you'd like details!

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

http://www.rjmmusic.com/rg16.php

That's quite impressive but it's not clear (to me) whether it provides the response to CC messages that you need to accomplish real-time effects mix.
    ART used to call this feature 'Performance MIDI' and one could set a single pedal to do exactly what you ask for. Doing it with separate amps and fx pedals.....potentially complicated.

4. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey looklikemeband,

Your idea could be accomplished, but I would hate to have haul all of those amp heads rackmounted in a large, heavy rack. You might want to consider the Mesa Boogie Tri-Axis preamp, an effects processor, and a stereo tube power amp along with a MIDI controller pedalboard to run the whole thing. Much easier to control all that stuff.

Huge Racks Inc. website ( www.hugeracksinc.com) has a lot of information on that type of setup. I own and use 3 different guitar rack rigs myself so I can relate to what you have in mind.

Guitar George

5. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Gold Supporting Member

That's true - I didn't catch the "panned" part. If you really need to pan instead of instantaneously switch between amps, you'll need something like a Switchblade by Sound Sculpture.

6. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

Thank you for the responses everyone.!!!

I'm registered at HRI forum - I should have asked there. My bad.

Would I be able to PAN with the Triaxis???

7. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

I can get one of those. :dude

8. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Member

dont forget the software upgrade! so that you can cc effects out of the patch. really nice.

i havent saved the $ for the GL yet:eek:

9. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey lookslikemeband,

I would recommend the Switchblade by Sound Sculpture for being able to pan between amps & effects. It's a combination audio switching system & line mixer with the ability to program different combinations of the two. It's a very cutting edge device.

Guitar George

10. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

Cool! Thanks. I'll look into it now.

~ Lance