Midi board with VST files versus a real Keyboard?

cragginshred

I am not the player, just want to have one in my studio for a keyboardist buddy to use.

I was looking at the Nord stage models, but a friend said 'just get a midi board and get the midi files for all the sounds that are in the Nord

Reality? Pros/cons of going that route?
Thanks!

Madsen

MIDI is a communications protocol for transmitting note values & keyboard actions. You'd need a computer with synth VST's to play the "Nord sounds" the "MIDI Keyboard" would be controlling. I use a Novation Xstation as a controller & converter. It's hooked up to a laptop running NI Komplete VST's.

Madsen

Lots of variables. Do you have a decent laptop lying around you can dedicate to synth duties? Are you willing to invest in software or spend some time hunting around for free VST's? Do you have an audio converter or will the controller need to do that too? Does the convenience of having everything in one independent keyboard device & not futzing about with a computer appeal to you/keyboardist buddy?

cragginshred

Saving 3g appeals to me who is funding it!
I have access to a lot of high end VST's
I would buy a dedicated lap top
Not sure about the converter,..

stevel

Saving 3g appeals to me who is funding it!
I have access to a lot of high end VST's
I would buy a dedicated lap top
Not sure about the converter,..
You don't really need a dedicated laptop. The only reason to do that would be if someone else in the house had to be using it for something else at the same time.

Most of this stuff will run off a Tablet now.

Something like Mainstage is good enough for just rehearsing.

If you need to get audio out to a PA system, the 3.5mm headphone jack to a pair of 1/4" cables would be fine.

Then all you need is a decent little controller - all depends how much you want to spend. $150 could do fine.

IOW, you need nothing more than to download Mainstage and get the controller and be done with it (aside from learning how to work it).

You can go up from there if you want to, but you don't NEED to.

Trending Topics