• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Midi control for Flashback X4 and/or midi controlled delays

tanee

I have owned an H9 for a little over a year now and haven't looked back. I bought a DMC-6 to control it and it has made it a lot easier to use. Recently I've been kicking around the idea of getting a delay that has midi so I can control it with the DMC-6. I've been thinking about getting another Alter Ego X4 because I loved the first one I have and I am a fan of TC Electronics time-based effects offerings. Has anyone controlled the alter ego with any of Disasterareaamps products. I'm sure it's fairly limited in what it can do. The ideal delay would probably be a timeline but I don't really want to fork out that much for a delay (or could I justify it to my wife). Is there any other delays with midi control... lets say under or close to $200 I should consider?

John K.

You can get a Nemesis for around $240ish usually. Prymaxe and one of their 20% sales should get you there

phazersonstun

I have a FBX4 & its midi capability is brutally limited.

You can select one of the presets you've assigned to a footswitch via midi.
That's about it.

You can not bypass the unit via midi and must instead set up 1 of the 3 presets at 100% dry and select that when you want it off. No tap tempo, no toneprint access, no looper access.

Just craziness.

tanee

Used H9 core for a ~$350 is obviously the right answer here.
I already have one and have thought about it. Would definitely open up my options for H9 algos go, but I'd like to get something different for delays. Also, I got my core for a little over $300 brand new with a coupon. Have they jumped in price?

tanee

That's about it.

You can not bypass the unit via midi and must instead set up 1 of the 3 presets at 100% dry and select that when you want it off. No tap tempo, no toneprint access, no looper access.

Just craziness.
Why did they even bother implementing MIDI then? So weird. They should've ditched MIDI and added a favorite switch that could do banks of presets or something along those lines.

tanee

You can get a Nemesis for around $240ish usually. Prymaxe and one of their 20% sales should get you there
I've considered it but I already have an H9 and I'm not much of tweaker. My philosophy is definitely keep it simple. That's one of the biggest reason I like the Flashback series tc electronic released. Find a preset you like and you set levels and that's it.

denmalley

That's about it.

Just craziness.
Yeah I was pretty disappointed when I looked up the midi implementation. Was really hoping for more then just a preset switch.

flatulentmatt

Silver Supporting Member
Boss DD-500 might be good for you. I previously had the TC Nova Delay, Flashback x4, and Triple Delay. DD-500 can cop all their sounds and more, plus the MIDI control is far more advanced, and they are reasonably priced.

Boss DD-500 might be good for you. I previously had the TC Nova Delay, Flashback x4, and Triple Delay. DD-500 can cop all their sounds and more, plus the MIDI control is far more advanced, and they are reasonably priced.
A used DD-500 would be a great bet. Great sounds are available on the DD-500 and the MIDI control is powerful, albeit at the cost of a steeper learning curve for both MIDI and preset programming.
If you like the flavor of the Pigtronix Echolution 2, that is to say, pretty warm and not ultra-crisp, real analog filters on the delay line, an original basic version or Filter Pro could be had for $200 or so used, and it does MIDI fine. (You would probably have to do the dry setting for bypass though.)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom