MIDI control of Zoom G3 video

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by tucsonsound, Feb 14, 2012.

1. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

Today I set-up a MIDI foot controller to give me random access to all my Zoom G3 patches without leaving stomp box mode. I did not know this would be possible when I picked up the G3, but this little unit appears to be Pandora's box when combined with a laptop.

2014 UPDATE: Now using an iOS device for the USB host, which is a bit more portable. Added a quick video below the original showing how it's connected.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. Henky

Henky Member

Hi tucsonsound
    I've done the same thing but without a computer.
    It also works with an iConnectMidi which has a USB host and is a really small box, the size of a pack of sigarettes.
    A comp is not really something you want on your pedalboard when you play live but with the iConnectMidi it's great.
    http://iconnectivity.com/iConnectMIDI-Overview

Now I know it accepts program changes but did you by any chance found other MIDI commands that work?

3. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

I'm using the G3 to feed MainStage at the moment so the MacBook is already tethered via USB. I'm really liking the G3 's amp models feeding Amp Designers cabinet models.
    I haven't tried anything beyond MIDI program changes as that's all the old Rockman kicks out. I could grab my old Lexicon MIDI Remote Control and throw some continuous controllers at the G3 to see if any parameters respond...

4. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Is there a way to use a midi footswitch without a laptop.... and one of the super cheap midi to USB converters?

5. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

You need to use a USB MIDI host device like what Henky linked above.

6. tonesurf

tonesurf Senior Member

I use the iConnect MIDI without a computer but I did not know the Zoom units could be controlled like that, quite cool

iConnect MIDI $179

7. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Thanks but the iConnectMidi costs more than the G3... waiting for a budget midi option comes along

8. jhall

jhall Member

Too bad they sound like moist ass

9. tonesurf

tonesurf Senior Member

you can convert the mini USB on this to full size with adapter or cable and all set probably:

iK iRig MIDI $55

just an example

10. tonesurf

tonesurf Senior Member

MIDI makes no sound itself that I know of, its just a communication protocol

11. jhall

jhall Member

I meant the G3 sounds like moist ass

12. tonesurf

tonesurf Senior Member

really? :) well I guess the joke is on you then isn't it?

why post that the G3 sucks moist ass in a thread where someone is asking about MIDI control of it, not sure of your point

do you mean that because you think the G3 sucks moist ass, whatever that is supposed to mean, the OP and everyone else using a G3 is using gear that totally sucks? and that trying to get MIDI to work with totally sucky gear is a waste of time?

what about folks that only have one modeler and one guitar and their one piece of kit is a Zoom G3, they must feel bad because you think their gear sucks moist ass and they don't know if you are an authority or an expert or what

Dude705 likes this.
  13. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

I don't understand the logic myself, but this seems to be a theme with him. Find threads on the G3, post how it sucks and offer nothing of value to the conversation. Remember this one:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=14918901#post14918901

In any event, I didn't know about the iConnectMIDI. Very cool device. Opens up a lot of possibilities with the G3 and then some!

14. Henky

Henky Member

15. jhall

jhall Member

I'm just stating my opinion. I have heard amazing clips done with the G3. My personal experience with it is terrible. Have I found any "usable" sounds with it? Yes... yes I have. But I've been much more happy with my Eleven Rack, Hd-500 Rp-1000, Amplitube-III and GR-IV and S-gear all of which I use all the time while my G3 sits on a shelf. I did just build myself a circuit identical 18 watt Marshall clone and will install a loop into it and try the G3 as a reverb-chorus and stuff unit. It DOES have a GREAT form factor but I find the amp modelling to be atrocius(sic).

16. tonesurf

tonesurf Senior Member

great gear post from Henky for MIDI control

thanks for your opinion jhall, maybe you should just get rid of your G3 if you don't like it

17. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I'm confused. What exactly can that midi box (the one in the pic posted) do for me for live setup? Would I be able to access more of the 6 functions in the G3 with a midi floor board? (I have the FCB1010 for my KPA).
    I know JHall is not digging the G3 but I'm continuosly amazed... I finally tested just setting it in front of an amp (my trusty BlackStar HT20) and the Vibe, AutoWah, Delay, Verb, even many of the overdrive stomps sounds FLIPPING GREAT.
    I play ~3-4x a month and this stucker is a gigging guitarists dream, either going direct to FOH, in front of an amp or as a blended solution with other, uber expensive gear. My 2 cents.

18. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

:bowOooooooooooooohhhhhhh!:bow:bow

directed at jhall

19. Henky

Henky Member

The idea is that with such a midi box the G3 can become part of a larger midi rig.
    It listens to and follows the patch/program changes which will give you the ability to build a chain of midi devices all changing the patch at the same time.
    In my case: my live rig is (still) a GSP1101, a JMP1 and the G3 with a iConnectMidi box.
    All 3 devices are midi chained and controlled with the Control 2 footswitch.
    So changing a patch with the Control 2 on the GSP1101 will also change the corresponding patch on the JMP1 AND on the G3.
    So the only thing on the floor for me is the Control 2, the G3 is stacked away and build into my rack.

20. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Thanks Henky! I didnt know about the Kenton either - cool concept.