MIDI Foot Controller for Live Use

Pablomago

What MIDI pedals are you guys using with your rack gear when you gig? I'm looking for something small and basic to switch programs with. I have an old ART X-15 but it's overkill for my current needs.

sev_reed

What MIDI pedals are you guys using with your rack gear when you gig? I'm looking for something small and basic to switch programs with. I have an old ART X-15 but it's overkill for my current needs.
I use a Voodoo Labs Ground Control currently, which is great, but it seems like it is more than you need/want. I've used the Midi Mouse in the past, but it is limited to Program Changes only. Not sure if that covers your needs, but it is very compact and reliable. You might look into the Midi Moose (slightly larger).

tazzboy

Silver Supporting Member
I use a Voodoo Labs Ground Control currently, which is great, but it seems like it is more than you need/want. I've used the Midi Mouse in the past, but it is limited to Program Changes only. Not sure if that covers your needs, but it is very compact and reliable. You might look into the Midi Moose (slightly larger).
:agree

rustolium

It was stated only patch changes needed, however there was no mention of how many different rack units etc. If you might need to switch more than one unit with different patch numbers and midi channels then read on.

I use RJM MMGT stuff. They make a Mastermind LT that looks killer for $400. You would have way more power than you need now, but won't have to buy anything else if you run into something more you want to do with control. Great products, support and easy to program. Road proven stuff.

If that is still too much on any criteria, I'd look at the Morningstar MC6. Small, looks pretty powerful. There are a lot of interesting options these days.

Coalface1971

Depends a lot on stage room. Maybe an original RJM Mastermind, a Rocktron MIDI Mate, or the Morningstar Rust suggested.

If you just want to send Program Changes, I'd go an old Boss FC-50 - even runs on batteries! Easy mod to install Bank Up/Down switches too.

Zintolo

I use a Lexicon R1, but you could appreciate an italian foot controller, the Jad&Freed Midi Meno:

Or another italian small one, the Cicognani Midi MF24:

Then Tech 21 MIDI Mongoose and even smaller (to much IMHO) midi mouse.

ned911

I used 3 main pedals when I was gigging. With the Mod50+pedal board it was an Axess MFC5. When I switched to the GSP1101 and was controlling the light rig via midi I used a Liquid Foot Pro. Once we dumped the light rig I switched to a Liquid Foot Jr. I could be talked out of all 3 :)

JmpOne

I've used 6-7 over the years. They all have their pros and cons.

My favourites of those are the Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro and original RJM Mastermind. I modded them to take phantom power from the rack over a regular 5 pin Midi cable rather than search out spares of less common and pricey 7 pin cables.

Provided you don't need more than 4 channels of PC, or a more informative display, the Mastermind is rugged, light, compact and inexpensive used. I like that it fits tidily into the lid of a 4u rack I carry for recording. The Midimate is annoying as it doesn't despite the actual PCB being exactly 19' which suggests they'd thought about how you'd carry it! :))

Pablomago

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just changing patches on a single MIDI effects unit. I can probably group the patches that I use the most and be happy. I just need something simple. The MIDI Mouse or Mongoose or something similar would do fine. The rest of my rig is analog as far as switching goes.

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
I second the Morningstar recommendation. It's small, easy to program, and quite comprehensive.

looper309

Gold Supporting Member
One Control Basilisk, compact, 4 buttons and will do CC messages if you need them going forward, and easy on the wallet. For a few more bucks the MC6 gives the options of expandability, naming your presets and excellent support including a user forum.

Mark Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
ADA MC1 for decades, I have four of them. I use one, the others are spare and parts donors. I have it at the upstage edge of my pedal board.
They work well for program changes. I’d love a smaller unit, but I need more than four ready patches. Having dry plus nine works great.

Anje

Silver Supporting Member
For smallest & simple PC-change-only type of applications the old Axess MFC5 is great; I've used one for years before moving to a much more powerful yet still compact RJM Mastermind LT.

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
Another vote for the RJM Mastermind LT. Extremely solid but the major benefit of RJM gear is the desktop editor that makes setting up your controller extremely easy.

Mario C.

I like the Roland FC200, great ergonomics and really tough, the more recent FC300 is great too. Love the bigger switches and how they are spaced, with other controllers I'd be hitting other switches by accident because they are so damn small, Roland got the spacing just right.

Whoops, just read you want something small, I guess the FC300 is a better fit but it might be too big for your needs.

Last edited:

sonhenry

I built my own from a few momentary switches and an Arduino board. Small and programmed to do exactly what I want.

I was using a Voodoo Lab GCP, it was ok but heavy and too complicated for what I needed

Last edited:

Trending Topics