Midi foot controller with clock

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Passenger84, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Quick question here. I'm relatively new to the world of midi and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a midi foot controller that able to control presets and is able to send midi clock messages that I can set in beats per minute.

The ability to name patches and as small a pedal as possible with all those features would be bonuses.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

What processor are you using?

3. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

A midi controller that generates a midi clock?

Seems like you would have to have an external clock, and then sync whatever preset you are triggering to that clock. The controller is just a trigger...

Midi button #x triggers Preset A - Preset A can be in sync set midi clock

You want to tap the tempo with one button (button y), then trigger preset a with button x. You need a processor that allows you to tap the tempo for a specific patch, otherwise I don't think you can do this. I don't even know if your processor will create a midi clock to sync to.

Check out www.plogue.com. There is a program called Bidule, and it is a virtual router of sorts. It costs money, but this is an AWESOME tool for not only what you are describing, but to also control parameters on your midi control, sync everything (multiple computers) etc.

4. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Thanks for the replies. And sorry, I should have specified: I'm using a Damage Control Timeline, and it accepts midi clock messages to set its delay time. So I'm looking for something I can set in beats per minute that will then send the beats per minute via midi output to the Timeline.

The Timeline already has a tap tempo which works well; it's just lacking the ability right now to have its delay set by beats per minute. So, a beats per minute setter with a midi output is really what I need. If that same controller happened to have the ability to also switch patches via midi on the Timeline, it would save me having to buy a midi merger.

5. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I guess I'm still confused as to what you want...though it sounds like you need a drum machine to use as a midi clock source, and a separate midi foot controller to trigger different patches. Why not just use the buttons on the timeline to switch patches though?

For the BMP, your options are:
    -Tap the tempo in manually
    -Set the drum machine to a certain BPM->Midi out to timeline

There is no point in trying to tap the tempo, have the machine calculate the bpm, and then send it back to the timeline.

6. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Sorry for the confusion. hehe I'll try my best to explain better.

First, the patch thing was basically another question in and of itself, so I'll just leave that out for now.

You're right, exactly what I need is a drum machine with a midi out to set the time of the Timeline. But because I have no need of all the other features in a drum machine, I was just wondering if anybody knew of a piece of gear whose only function was to send midi clock signals in beats per minute. I figured that if there was one, it might save me some money. But I have yet to find any type of metronome besides a drum machine that will send midi clock.

7. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I'm in the same boat as you. I need a midi clock source to send to my looper. Better yet, I want one that is a midi clock / metronome all-in-one unit.

8. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

Doesnt the Timeline have preset you can set up? Use the presets to store your delay times.

9. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

The Timeline does have presets, but there is no digital readout of time. So, although the functionality is killer and I can set delay times by the time knob, by tapping the tempo, or by strumming the tempo, I still do not have a readout of exactly what that tempo is.........

Wait.....actually......the Timeline does have a midi out...and there are plenty of metronomes with a midi in. So, in theory, if I were to connect a metronome to the midi out of the Timeline, then its time knob would readout on the metronome.

Wow, thanks for all your help guys! I think this might work!