Midi guitar question

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by cygnusx1, Jan 22, 2012.

1. cygnusx1

cygnusx1 Member

Ok guys, bear with me. I want to have the ability to play synths, pads, weird patches, etc through my guitar. I see stuff like the graphtech setup, the axon stuff, roland. My question is this. What exactly do I need to achieve this? I know I need a pickup or translator for my guitar, but I am completely clueless about the rest. I have watched the axon videos on you tube and am blown away but I read a lot of bad reviews. Could someone walk me from fingers to strings, to pickup, cable, sound moudel, etc out to amp in a live situation? Plus I hate modelers that sound cheesy. Thanks guys.

2. RiGLEY

RiGLEY Member

Hey!

I wanted to make a separate thread for this, but I'm too lazy... Anyway I have good news for you: The inventor of the technology behind the Axon series (a talented Hungarian guy, Andras Szalay) teamed up with Fishman, and developed a wireless MIDI guitar controller. They are already showing the product called "TriplePlay" at NAMM. Keep an eye on it! It will cost less than 300 dollars. This will be a MIDI guitarist's dream come true.

3. hanales

hanales Member

That's my next purchase. When is it coming out?

4. Genghis

Genghis Member

Hey, that sounds like it could be really cool. Will definitely keep my eyes open for that... (like I need more gear).

I have an old Brian Moore with the piezo pickups in the bridge that runs through the Axon AX50 and it works pretty good. I like the Axon system better than my old Roland, but with either one you have to approach your technique a bit differently to avoid minor performance glitches. And setting up the unit is a part of it. I'd bet that a lot of those bad reviews are from people who expected it to be able to track just like playing a guitar and/or didn't take the time to set the device up properly.

I'd definitely watch for the new developments on TriplePlay. It really sounds like it could be promising, especially at that price point.

5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

You need some kind of guitar synth to do what you want... GR55 and VG99 are the current offerings from Roland. Keep in mind that the Roland pickup works best with some of this stuff, and the otherwise excellent built-in stuff on guitars like the Brian Moore and Godin guitars is problematic at least with the GR55. I think Roland has something new.

I will say this, as someone who has been down this road once in the 90s and once in the 2000s. It was ultimately unsatisfying for me. But then again, I can play keys rather well...

6. hanales

hanales Member

I'm a really mediocre keyboard player. I'd much rather play my iPad synths with a guitar based interface. I've looked at some of the devices out there, but there aren't many and they are very expensive. In the meantime I bring out a little 25 key controller, but I think I could do a lot better with something on guitar.

7. labou

labou Member

Hi,

If you already have synths you want to use, you need 2 things:

1- Piezo system on you guitar outputing separate strings signal through a 13 pin cable output(Graphtech ghost, RMC piezo, Roland GK-3)

2- A unit being able to take a 13 pin input cable and output the corresponding midi signal(Roland, Axon, ...)

You can then use that midi generated signal like you will do with any midi controller using midi cables.

If you do not have synths already and you want an all inclusive package I would recommend the Roland GR-55 which allows to layer 2 synths sound, 1 modeled guitar sound and your original guitar sound through various effects and can get you a long way in the synths, pads, weird patches world in one compact unit.

The signal path for that unit would be:

- GK-3 pickup or piezo system on the guitar(I have both and they both works fine, but piezo system installation is way more costly)
    - 13 pin cable running in between the guitar and the GR-55
    - Then GR-55 1/4 inch output to Amp FX Loops or PA or FRFR
    - You can also send the guitar mag pickup dry output from the GR-55 to your tube amp if you do not like modeling, so there is actually only one cable going out of your guitar(13 pin)

Unless I don't understanding it correctly, the fishman system seems to be a nice thing if you you wish to use a computer on your guitar rig since the receiver of the guitar pickup is a USB key.

8. lilbman

lilbman Member

I wonder if it's only USB for now. I would think that if the tech is good enough, they could build different hardware receivers for it. Fir instance, rack mount or one that would sit on your pedal board.

Line6 does this and there is nothing in the rule books that says Fishman nor anyone else couldn't do this. I'm thinking it is very possible and would follow if this really took off in the near future.

This is a dream come true if it's the real deal. Lets see where it leads to and hope for the best.

9. RiGLEY

RiGLEY Member

The tracking is a little better than on the Axon. According to Mr. Szalay the hardware in that little box is ~1000 times more powerful than the Axon. The unit will most likely be available around summer.

10. ltkojak

ltkojak Member

I've found myself spending more time editing the keyboard lines played by my guitar controller than actually playing the same chord or line and adjusting the pitchs afterwards... YMMV.

11. hanales

hanales Member

Yeah this is for live performance though, and the lines I'm playing are very simple. They have to be, I suck at keyboards!

12. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Let me put in a plug for a few of the older Roland 13 pin floor mount synths; I have gotten very good results with the GR-1 and GR-30 (two I use now), driving it with an SG with a full Ghost system installed. I did not have as good results with the GI-20 or GR-20. I have never used a GR-55.

But keep in mind the tracking and response of the Roland stuff is far better on internal sounds, and not as good with external midi devices. I actually have better results driving midi modules using a very old Roland GM-70 converter than with the 13 pin Roland stuff.

If the claims for the new TriplePlay are correct, and the price is $300, it is a complete game changer for midi guitar. If its response is as good as the Roland floor units, I would immediately ditch everything and go to the TriplePlay.

13. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Holy crap - the drum demo was very cool! I wonder if it's class compliant - it would be cool to play AniMoog with it

14. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

15. ToneZappa

ToneZappa Member

16. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Man, that thing responds so fast and clean--glitch-free. Never heard midi guitar that slick, this changes up the whole midi guitar game if it's really $300! Eat your heart out Roland with your $700 solutions with lag and glitches.

17. shasha

shasha Member

18. cygnusx1

cygnusx1 Member

Ok, that fishman thing is unreal. SO I can use this with my pedal board as well? What sound module? I have logic that has killer pads and synths. I am a very visual person. A chain pic would really help. Or would I run this through a separate amp set up?