Midi Keyboards, 4th times a charm, Native Insturments

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by Gibby60, May 9, 2019.

1. Gibby60

Gibby60 Supporting Member

Midi keys are one of the most frustrating purchases. Because you don't really know what you want. It seems like there are many things to consider. My first a used Roland, couldn't get to work. Second a $99. Samson, that worked and gave me my first glimpse of how the work. The Samson is cheap and cheerful, but the actions horrible. Third, Novation Impluse, A nice keyboard, with aftertouch. But I wanted more, this is my job now. So after a lot of research I discovered Native Instruments, I bought some Cinema software, it used Native Instruments as a browser.
    Well, Komplete Kontrol Mk2, is a wonderful unit. I use Logic, it interfaces easily, You can run Logic from the keyboard. The cool part is the Browser, It helps you find just what you want, quickly. My software programs Symphobia, and Lumina are right in the screen on the board, you can easily sample tones, A huge timesaver, Fatar Keybed is wonderful. Pricey at $629 for 49 keys, but you get $200.00 in software. I'm finally set.

Cruciform likes this.
  2. Mildwest

Mildwest Member

I love it too. Had the Mk1 and upgraded. If you are in their ecosystem or have compatible plugins there is nothing like it.

Gibby60 likes this.
  3. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle

Is this plastic or aluminum?

4. Gibby60

Plastic, but very nice. Like an Apple product

5. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

it really is, the build quality of the latest NI stuff (i have a Maschine MK3 and M32 keyboard) is some of the best plastic construction i've ever seen. these things don't look or feel "cheap" at all.

Gibby60 likes this.
  6. Gibby60

I use it everyday for hours, I love the thing, The KOMPLETE KONTROL Browser is such a time saver.

7. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Just got a M32 myself and love it. The entire ecosystem is very well thought out and leads to great productivity. Once you get the hang of the tiny on board display, it really helps.

However, the claim of $600 software, although true in principal, is not necessarily the benefit it seems in some cases. The majority of the NI software is available as a free download (although a few individual softsynths are included with a purchase you don't get from the NI free download). Also Ableton Live Lite is included, but that is bundled with most any controller you buy these days, so you might already have a copy.

All that being said, the NI keyboards are terrific, well worth their asking price, and the icing (included software) is great if you're just starting out.

8. Gibby60

They're selling the upgrades to Komplete for !/2 off, if you have Komplete Select until the end of June.

9. Gibby60

I did the upgrade for 199, loads of cool stuff. every type of synth. Pleasent surprise is Guitar Rig Pro, I get some really good recorded tone with it. Some say, while the amp modeling isn't dead on, it sounds really good.

10. Gibby60

I finally got the whole package installed, there are very cool programs, loads of programs. I could spend a month learning everything in there. I doubt I need more. Very impressive.