Midi/Pedal Switching - How would you do it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by alex_toney, Oct 17, 2008.

1. alex_toney

alex_toney Member

Hi everyone, I have a dilemma and I need your help to figure it out!

What I have:

Guitar --> Vox Clyde McCoy Wah --> Keeley Compressor --> Ernie Ball VPJR (Turbo Tuner in Tuner Out) --> Little Big Muff Pi --> Keeley TS9 --> Barber Small Fry --> BB Preamp --> Tim --> Eventide Modfactor --> Eventide Timefactor --> Boss DD7 --> Line 6 Verbzilla --> Amp

What I need:

I want to be able to create presets with some kind of Audio Switcher. Based on its features, the one that appeals to me most so far is the GigRig Pro-14. I like the sonic benefits it seems to have and I also like that it has 2 amplifier outputs, the second being isolated. However, while the GigRig is great, it only has 1 stereo loop and I wish to run the Modfactor, Timefactor, DD7, and Verbzilla in True Stereo. I would also like to be able to send Midi control messages and program messages with the presets in order to change presets on the Modfactor and Timefactor with each overall preset change. I like the look of the MusicomLab Switcher (banks of about 4 presets would work fine for me) and it is a nice size; however, it doesn't have stereo loops. I do not wish to go to a Rack setup unless completely necessary.

Here's where you come in:

I'm lost! Beyond the two products I have mentioned I can't seem to find something to do what I want and I need your help! As I said, I would prefer to stick to a strictly pedalboard route if possible. However, if said pedalboard would be monstrous in size, or if there is no way of accomplishing this without going to a small Rack setup I may have to go that way.

So, please - if you would be so brave as to tackle this one, tell me how you would do it (including as detailed an explanation as you are willing to give).

Thanks!

Alex

P.S. The Wah, Compressor, Volume Pedal, and Tuner will be on the floor pre-audio switcher unless there is one able to accommodate them in that order!

2. nitefly7

nitefly7 Member

I've just finished replying to a topic, about a possible stereo connection to the Musicom; check it out http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=453025

The Musicom does have the negative point that it only has 8 loops, using the Stereo pedals would also eat up 2 channels at a time..!

if you were to use the Wah, comp, and drives outside of the Musicom, you'd be fine; I reckon you want those in presets as well .. ?

Your best bet would be the Pro-14, with some added 'Loopy's', 2 GigRig MIDI-8's...
    or a more elaborate (Switchblade) rig..

The Voodoo Labs GCX would also be limited to just 8 loops and you need at least 4 mono loops (comp, Muff/TS9shared, Barber/BB-shared and Tim-single) + 4 stereo loops..

my advise would be to get the Gigrig + a small rack (even without a switcher!)..
    that way, you could have all the pedals in loops (6 non-stereo), use the DD-7 as a mono send, 'stereo return' pedal (send 7, return 7/8), have the Verbzilla as a 'true stereo' pedal..
    Both Eventides could be used as a 'Midi rack processor', so you wouldn't even really need a GCX-switcher... just put both of 'em in a rack, and send presets to them via the GiGrig..
    Or you could have the Gigrig + extra Loopy's
    ..or you could have the GigRig + a separate board for your Eventides..

...or sell 2 pedals !

3. alex_toney

alex_toney Member

Ok, any others going to take a bite?? Bump!

4. Benlevy

Benlevy Member

The Soundsculpture Switchblade if you have the big $$$$$

5. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I believe you can turn the Time factor/mod factor on/off through MIDI program changes, you wouldn't need them in loopers then. DD7 and verb would either have to take up 2 or be manual stompers if you used the musicom.

You might find something at Custom Audio Japan:http://www.customaudioelectronics.com/ordering_information.htm

I've seen this picture but I'm not sure how you order the bottom one... might be too big but it would have enough loops!!!
    http://blog-imgs-11.fc2.com/n/a/g/nagaokahideki/Musicom20EFX20(2).jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. faizz

faizz Member

+1

doei! ®
    Faizz

7. Willemdaguide

Willemdaguide Member

Why not combine the musicomlab with a axess GRX-4 (or two)
    The musicomlab can handle your stereo outs, although the amount of loops is down to four using them in stereo.
    You can hook as many GRX-4's in front of it as you want and with the midi out of the musicomlab you can also switch presets of the GRX-4.
    Just my thoughts.

8. geetarman

geetarman Member

That's what I use and it works great you can route your pedals in any order you like and then some.