midi question re: Strymon Timeline, Disaster Area midi controller and TheGigRig G2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jwny72, Jan 16, 2015.

1. jwny72

jwny72 Member

I have a Timeline, and a Disaster Area DMC-6D. I'll be getting a G2 by TheGigRig soon. The G2 is also midi enabled and allows specific Timeline presets to be saved with individual effects patches I create with the G2. If this all works I'll soon have the pedal board of my dreams.
    :dude

The Timeline has one midi input. The DMC-6D has one midi cable port: an out that connects to the Timeline's midi in. It also has a USB port. The G2 has a midi input, and a midi output.

I want to connect these three devices together via midi. As a midi noob as I try and solve this puzzle, it seems like the DMC-6D and the G2 are both controllers that need to be connecting to the Timeline's midi input. Could I use a midi merger connected to the midi outs of G2 and the DMC-6D to accomplish this, and would it work well? I worry about midi interference from two signals on the same channel simultaneously.

Another, possibly wrongheaded thought I had is that the DMC-6D midi out could be connected to the G2 midi in, and the G2 midi out to the Timeline midi in. Would the DMC-6D interact with the Timeline properly in that configuration? This would be preferable, since I wouldn't need a third midi device.

The Timeline is the first midi enabled device I've ever had, and I don't understand midi at all. Any knowledgeable input would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. jwny72

jwny72 Member

3. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

You're best choice is to use a Midi Solutions Midi Merger. The Midi merge will take two midi inputs and send one set of data to the Timeline. I use the Quadro Merge which costs a little more, but allows you to send data from up to four midi controller through to the midi in on the Timeline. I then run from the Timeline out to the BigSky in.

4. jwny72

jwny72 Member

Thanks for that. Much obliged. I take it there's no midi interference from simultaneous input on one channel. Good to know. Looks like I need to buy yet another $100 box. So it goes.

5. warren3333

warren3333 Gold Supporting Member

I'm just a few weeks into my G2, but my understanding is that the G2 should meet most of your Strymon midi needs. Have you watched the YouTube video ?

6. jwny72

jwny72 Member

How do you like your G2?

The Disaster Area controller has a looper mode, which allows access to advanced looper features in the Timeline (reverse loop, half speed, undo/redo). The G2 doesn't do that. It's mostly why I bought the Disaster Area controller.