MIDI question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Metallicdream91, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Metallicdream91

Metallicdream91 Guest

Could a MIDI floor switcher be used with an Axe Fx (or a similar modeler) into a real tube amp? So, if I wanted to use a regular amp for my tones, but use a modeler for the effects, could that all be done through a MIDI so that I could still essentially have "patches" and that only certain effects would be active on certain tones?

2. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

Yes, although if you want to change channels etc on your tube amp, you'll need some kind of control switcher (RJM Mini Amp Gizmo or similar). If it's just for changing the effects, that's simple to do with MIDI.

3. Metallicdream91

Metallicdream91 Guest

Cool, good to know!

4. Metallicdream91

Metallicdream91 Guest

If I did want to use it for channel switching and the effects, how would I run that?

5. randombastage

randombastage Member

The Fractal Audio MFC-101 has all the midi control of the AxeFX plus I believe it has a few external switch outputs that will toggle the real amps channels. You can program each preset to make the changes to the AxeFx as well as send a channel switch signal at the same time. Lots of midi control boards do that.
    Easy.

you would only need to add the ampgizmo if your amps switching was complex like the Mesa MarkV for example.

6. Benlevy

Benlevy Member

I think the MFC-101 has switch INputs not outputs. If your amp does not have MIDI control built in, you will need a controller like MartinCliffe says above. You'd plug the MIDI out of your pedal to the MIDI in of your modeller/effects unit. Then the MIDI through from your modeler/effects unit to the MIDI in of the amp controller thingy. That will have regular 1/4" jacks to plug into your amp.

7. SteveO

SteveO Member

I control my Mark V with the internal relays in a G-System, no Amp Gizmo required. The Mark V has external switching jacks for channel switching, EQ, and solo boost. All that is missing there is the reverb and mute controls, but the G-System has plenty of great reverbs and the ability to mute the output, anyway.

8. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

Yeah, there are some processors (TC G Major, for one) that have relay outputs to switch amps. But if you've got an Axe FX, you aren't going to want to buy a G Major just to switch your amp. The Mini Amp Gizmo is a small, convenient and affordable solution to amp switching. There are others, that's why I said "or similar". I haven't got one myself, because I don't use channel-switching amps, it was just something the OP needs to be aware of depending on the amp he/she is using. Or you could keep using your normal footswitch, but that's taking away MIDI control. YMMV.

9. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

You'd connect a MIDI cable from your MIDI controller to the MIDI IN of your Axe FX, then another MIDI cable from the MIDI THRU of the Axe FX to the MIDI IN of the Amp Gizmo or whatever you're using to switch channels (something with some kind of MIDI > relay switch). Finally, a cable from the Switch Out jack on the Amp Gizmo to the footswitch socket on the amp.