MIDI with H9, Nemesis, Strymon - What Is The Best Programable Stompbox MIDI Controler?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Blanket Jackson, May 1, 2016.

1. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Looking for a board-mounted MIDI controller that will allow me to save user presets at the controller (local) that feature different settings on multiple effects (remote). It needs to be small (like MIDI Mouse size, or thereabouts).

Will a MIDI Mouse allow me to save such user (local) presets, or does that only scroll / select defined effect presets (remote)? I've heard good things about Disaster Area DMC-4 - that should work ... or is there a newer jack that is the same size but will make me coffee too?

So confusing, this MIDI stuff! But I need to control an H9 and a Nemesis in series, combining different settings on each.

Thanks for the help.

2. jwny72

jwny72 Member

Disaster Area Amps makes good stuff. They have quite a number of units in varying sizes and levels of complexity. A few are quite small. I have the DMC-6D, and it's an excellent piece of gear.

3. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

^ thanks man, yeah they seem to have some really usable, practical products. Are they considered the de-facto MIDI choice for stompbox sized controllers these days?

Also, does anyone know if MIDI Mouse is programmable?

4. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

MIDI mouse is not programmable

Check out the older Voodoo Labs Ground Control, I just bought one for 125 bucks.
    You basically program it to run different devices on different MIDI channels.
    You program presets to send MIDI program changes to the units you want to control on their respective MIDI channels.

You can also set it up where it uses the bottom preset buttons and the top buttons can control the Timeline's functions that are done via CC messages, for example, to record and play back for looping, turn the effect off, active the repeat hold function, etc..

There are quite a number of pedals out there that are programmable
    Just need to know what you are trying to control and how you want things laid out from your perspective.

Rocktron MidiMate is another one, they can be bought used for similiar pricing

There are some units that are completely programmable
    I did a BUNCH of research on this as I was looking to get back into MIDI control like I had been in the early 90s

http://www.peak2005.com/j/index.php?id_category=12&controller=category

This unit is REALLY cool
    https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/softstep/

5. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

I really like my DMC3xl gen2 for controlling my DD500, BigSky, and H9. I also use it with a DPC-8ez so it controls everything on my board. I literally only have to use 2 switches and a volume pedal, and love it!

Blanket Jackson likes this.
  6. paddlebro

paddlebro Member

I just picked up a Source Audio Soleman and I love it. I haven't gotten too deep but I'm using it to control a SA Nemesis. It's compact, super flexible and would work well with any MIDI rig, including software. It comes with an online editor, detailed documentation and several excellent video tutorials. Great customer service from these folks too.

dougb415, LordByron and dickjonesify like this.
  7. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

I just picked up a MidiGrande not to long ago that I like quite a bit. Each foot switch can be set up with a red and a green layer. That ended up being a way more useful feature than I had initially thought it would. He does custom work at fair prices too. He's coding a custom processor for my controller now to open up some more possibilities for me. Robert has been a great guy to deal with. Highly recommended.

http://www.microdesignum.cz/EN/Products/MIDI-Controllers/MIDI-Grande

Microdesignum likes this.
  8. Goodwood Audio

Goodwood Audio Member

The Morningstar MC6 might be just what you need.

9. Mr2D

Mr2D Member

I have an MC6 and it's awesome and so easy to programme (running the Stryfecta and an H9 with it)

thesooze likes this.
  10. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

+1 for the mc6. Super versatile, easy to program, take a look.

There are a couple threads here
    One
    Other

11. mr_william

mr_william Member

so i have a line 6 m5, tc nova drive and i control these with a moen gec 8 live.

the moen is capable of sending midi program changes on channel 1 & 2.

so i have the drive set to receive information on midi channel 1, the m5 to receive information on channel 2.

i then save any presets i want to the desired location; so for example, i save a reverb preset on 1.

when i've saved all the presets i'm needing, i'm good to go...

after this, i then wire in the drive in loop 1 and the m5 in loop 2.

on the gec 8, i hold down the midi button when i'm on the preset i want to change and it enters midi mode. it first wants you to set the preset for channel one, then channel 2. i select the midi number, 0-127, that correspond to the preset, then when i've done that, cycles to channel 2 to enter the designated preset number.

12. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Disaster area dmc 3 or 4 (must be gen3, if you want nemesis specific firmware) sounds like the simplest solution, doesn't require a computer to program specific presets and supports those three pedals without any major programming.

Soleman and mc6 are great choices too, but for what you'd want to do with them might require a little more time to program what you want to do.

13. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

Came in to say the same thing ^

14. pusher

pusher Member

After a major ton of OCD research, if you're asking for the most programmable MIDI controller, the Morningstar MC6 is your answer. Nothing else compares to the flexibility and options for programming what you want each switch to do. You can send 8 messages at a time to (I think) six different MIDI pedals.

I'm controlling a Nemesis, Mobius, and a DA Smart Pedal right now, and I plan to add at least one more MIDI pedal. There's even an expansion box you can DIY build. I did. The 6 switch pedal is small enough for a board, and large enough to work with your feet.

By their own definition, Disaster Area controllers are not as flexible because they target customers who don't want to do much programming. The MC6 has a web editor and desktop editor - you can use either - and it's pretty darn simple to get up and running after you familiarize yourself with the program. It also generates MIDI clock for tap tempo.

And finally, their customer service is top notch, similar to Source Audio. And, they continuously update their firmware to make it more flexible.

Bang for the buck, MC6 wins pretty easily.

4b454e likes this.
  15. Catch

Catch Analog>Digital Converter

I'd suggest the Morningstar MC6, hands down.

I have several iterations of the DMC series but found the DMC6 to be a waste of my money--I could never get the programming to work. I use a DMC4 with expression roller to control my Timeline. It has an out of date firmware that is very easy for me to use.

The Morningstar MC6 is easy to program and James provides excellent and timely tech support. I use it to control my AxeFX II. Could use the same unit to control my Timeline and Big Sky too. Just haven't gotten that far.

pusher and 4b454e like this.
  16. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Morningstar MC6 seems the best option for you, is a good way to enter into the MIDI world too. If you want to go deeper, take a look at Liquid Foot and Gordius stuff.