"Mids" on an amp with no Mid knob?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by trumpus, Feb 9, 2008.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I was thinking today - where are the Mids set on an amp with no "mids" knob?

I know that when I play through my Mesa DC-3, I turn the mids almost all the way down to get rid of the nasal, honky character. When I run my HB equiped Gibson CS 336-style through my '78 VR, I notice the same honly mids, but there is no mids control to turn down.

it made me wonder where the mids are set for this amp, or any amp without a mid control, and is there a way to change it? I've got an EQ pedal that I use to drop a bit of the nasal-ness out, but I am interested in knowing more about mids on an amp with no "mid" control.

Brian

2. slowburn

slowburn Member

dime the bass/treble. the mids will seem more scooped by comparison?

3. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

I'm embarrassed but what is a 78 VR? Anyway, amps using a fender/marshall type tone stack without a middle control as in the normal channel of a lot of fender amps simply use a fixed resistor in place of the middle control. Higher resistance = more mids and less = less mids. There are other ways to boost and cut mids other than the tone stack but that's the easy place to start.

4. Free

Free Member

Nothing to be embarrassed about at all - most likely Vibrolux Reverb.

5. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Indeed, VR = Vibrolux Reverb

6. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

AH.. vibrolux reverb, yes I am an idiot. Look inside at the back of the bass control you'll see a 6.8k resistor going to ground. The lower value you use, the less the mids. If you want you can just use a jumper from the top of the resistor to ground just to see if it gives you what you want. That will be the same as turning down the mid control all the way. If that cuts too much select a few values in between o - 6.8k or you could wire in a trim pot to adjust to taste.

7. booj

booj Member

What does dime the (control) mean? 10 cents to a dollar? Dime O'cock? 10? I feel so old sometimes....

8. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

If I had a dime for every time this came up....

The knobs go to 10. Hence, dime = full on.