Midwest shops/ dealers?

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by shadpeters, Feb 17, 2012.

1. shadpeters

shadpeters Member

Hello folks, some of you may have seen me around here, my name is shad peters, and I've got a little shop just south of Muncie IN.
    Preface: I am a young guy, I've been building guitars for around 7 years, and I have somewhere in the realm of zero business smarts.
    What I have done up until now has primarily been highly personalized guitars for individuals, but I would really like to expand a little and possibly get a few of my guitars into some shops. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this or know of anyone worth while I should talk to? I welcome any thoughts and advice from all you guys who have considerably more experience than me. Thanks!

2. shan564

shan564 Member

A lot of builders start out by putting their guitars in consignment shops. It gets you a lot more exposure and doesn't really require any contracts or complicated business arrangements.

3. shadpeters

shadpeters Member

that would definitely be good for me, and is the sort of thing I am looking for. I don't suppose you know of any such places in particular do you?

4. shan564

shan564 Member

Well, there are a few in Chicago... Midwest Buy-n-Sell is probably the most well-known. I'm not sure about Muncie, but I'd be surprised if there weren't a handful in Indianapolis.

5. shadpeters

shadpeters Member

yeah there is definitely not anything in Muncie, but I was hoping to maybe find some places in Chicago, Indianapolis, and possibly Cincinnati.

6. shan564

shan564 Member

There are a lot of used/consignment dealers all around Chicago - I'm sure you can find a long list if you google it, but a lot of people underestimate the Guitar Center in Arlington Heights. They have a LOT of really nice boutique gear, and the manager is really interested in this sort of stuff. That would be a great place to get some exposure, especially for that distressed Tele that you have on your website, since that's in the price/interest range of a lot of Guitar Center shoppers.

Of course, most of the other Guitar Centers are just like every other Guitar Center in the country.