Mig 100 output taps (series or parallel question, schematic included))

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by seisxseisxseis, Mar 2, 2012.

1. seisxseisxseis

seisxseisxseis Member

Hello there Amp Technical Info forumites!

I have a Mig 100 with 3 output taps on the back. 4Ω 4Ω 8Ω. I'm not sure if the two 4Ω are series or parallel and I'm still in the learning phase of schematics.

( http://www.clintronics.com/images/Sovtek Mig100 schematic.jpg )

My question. If I am planning on running 2 cabs from the two 4Ω outputs, do the cabs need to be 4Ω each (since the taps are parallel?) or do they need to be 8Ω (since the taps would be in series)?

Any help and/or corrections to my assumption would be greatly appreciated. Explanations in the form of trying to teach a 5 year old would even be more appreciated.

2. CaptainJake

CaptainJake Member

(2) 8 ohm cabinets represents a 4 ohm load

3. wyatt

wyatt Member

In the schematic are in parallel and do come off the transformers 4-ohm tap. Consider the hot line coming off the transformer is the (+). They neglect to show that the ring of the jack (–) is connected to Ground, completing the circuit to the grounded end of the transformer coil.. So, in the schematic, when that 4-ohm line splits in two for the two jacks, they are both (+). (+) connected to (+) is parallel.

Two 8-ohm cabinets in parallel to create a total 4-ohm load.

So...two 8-ohm cabinets.

4. seisxseisxseis

seisxseisxseis Member

Thank you very much for the replies. It seems I confused the terminology between series and parallel, but my hunch was that I would require two 8Ω cabs.