• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Might pass on the AxeFX III

LaXu

I passed on it too because I didn't need more options from an Axe-Fx. I will look into Fractal products again when they release an "AX-9" or whatever the next gen simplified floorboard version will be called.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Seriously speaking; if you are just fine jamming with the Zoom...I can't see spending the coin on the III especially if rig bloat is concerning to you, specifically. That said; it is obviously a stupendous piece of gear :drink

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
You probably don't need the III so none of us are gonna change your mind, nor should we. Wait until the follow up to the AX8 is announced and then get that.
Remember; there is a Fractal event happening at the end of April, iirc. Might be an announcement there.

bloodninja

I did a bunch of A/B testing between my Ax8 and III over the last few days. My conclusion is that the III is nice to have, but if money were an issue or you just want some basic rock tones and don't care about dual amps with 4 channels and tons of delay and reverb blocks that I'd have no problem at all rolling with the Ax8. In fact now I feel a lot better about keeping the III at home at least until I can get an FC-12.

Here's an A/B comparison of the Friedman HBE. If there's anything else you want to see let me know and I'll do it.

JPenn

if you're really happy with what you've got now all a new purchase is gonna do is put a gtar in your hands more learning & tweaking the new gear. i really dont chase gtar gear the way i did pre-helix.....the flipside is i purchase way too much fishing gear :banana

the swede

Wait for the new floor unit with better display, as it will contain the III stuff anyway.

(I dont know anything, but it seems logical that there will be one sometime)

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I'm staying the course with the AX8. It just makes so much more sense for me right now and is the centerpiece of my recording and live electric and acoustic gig rigs.
Now... about that Gibson Traditional I've been eyeing up :)

deathbyguitar

I'm staying the course with the AX8. It just makes so much more sense for me right now and is the centerpiece of my recording and live electric and acoustic gig rigs.
Now... about that Gibson Traditional I've been eyeing up :)
Good idea. Don't give up that lovely form factor. As a II user I'm quite jealous.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
I've been considering the III a little more seriously...I've got a few guitars that I don't love, an electric drum kit that's not getting used, the AX8, a Helix, and a bunch of other stuff that could get moved. All that would easily cover the Axe III with a controller and a pretty damn nice guitar too.

The things that are really interesting to me are obviously the modeling enhancements, but also the additional power for the channel concept and the new cabinet system. Being able to blend single mics could help avoid the IR rabbit hole quite a bit.

On the flip side, I don't gig or record really, so that's a lot to be tied up in just tinkering around at home. I'm sure I haven't pushed the AX8 past its boundaries either. And if Fractal announced a stripped down floor model, I'm sure that would do more than everything I would need.

So I think I'll hang tight for now, keep dialing in my patches on the AX8, and continue to try and focus my energy on playing and learning rather than tweaking. Which is not successful most of the time, but anyway...

fretworn

Glad you’re happy w/ your rig; that’s the goal!

As far as waitlists go, the 3 is shipping and so are the FCs. Waitlists are quite short atm.

And for those who cannot discern a difference in the platforms - cool; good on your satisfaction with prior or different tools.

Many pros, gigging weekend warriors and “studio” guitarist can and do appreciate the substantial progress Cliff & Company have made with the 3.

We really have no concerns with those who don’t share the love. To each their own.