Might trade for a vintage Fender Jag, advice needed

vangkm

Basically I have very little knowledge on Fenders in general let alone vintage Fenders. I have a guy wanting to make a deal with me locally and he has a '64 Jag. I just need to know what to look out for to know that it's a real '64 besides the backplate serial number which can probably be easily reproduced.

I'm hesitant to make the deal but also somewhat interested.

Thanks for any help

If you don't know what to look for, find the nearest reputable vintage guitar dealer, and have the guitar appraised. Even if it costs you $50, you will know exactly what you are getting.

GreenKnight18

It's sort of hard to describe quickly. You can look at the neck stamp and pot dates. Stuff under the pick guard too.

Can you take a lot of pictures-- or have the seller send some to you?

This JimShine article is filled with some good 'foundation.'

Tweedledee

Do you have any photos or has the guy listed the guitar for sale anywhere?

This website gives a relatively accurate quick rundown of details of a vintage Jag: http://www.fenderjaguar.net/vintage.htm

Much of what you need to verify all the components of a '64 Jag requires you to remove the control plates and look at the potentiometer codes, the wiring, etc. Also look under the pickguard to see if there has been any extra routing done. It would also have a date stamp on the back of the neck heel.

Does the guitar have a sunburst finish? That's by far the most common. If it has any other color of finish but has a tortoise pickguard, it's likely refinished, which is pretty common with vintage Jags. Most original vintage Jags in colors other than sunburst also had matching headstocks.

Photos would really help. :)

vangkm

Thanks for the replies guys, the guy seems like an older gent. He's had the guitar for 20 years. Unfortunately I can't take it to a reputable vintage guitar dealer since the closest one is probably a good 2 hours one way.

The serial # puts the guitar at 1964, non matching headstock and looks to be Fiesta or Candy Apple red.

These are the pics I got from him, low res I know.

GreenKnight18

From those pics it looks like it's real-- and as HP Hovercraft noted it's almost certainly a refin.

I like it. :)

vangkm

From those pics it looks like it's real-- and as HP Hovercraft noted it's almost certainly a refin.

I like it. :)
Yes I do too but as someone who knows next to nothing about vintage Fenders it's kinda scary at this value trade.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Tweedledee

From those photos, it looks legit. I wish they were larger and higher quality, of course, but there's nothing that jumps out at me. Headstock logo is correct, bevel on the pickguard looks right, looks like it has clay dot position markers as it should. I'm impressed he actually has the original mute. Even the case looks correct, at least from the inside.

As others have noted, it's a refin. The non-painted headstock and tortoise pickguard are a dead giveaway. I've encountered so many 60s Jags that were originally sunburst and at some point were refinished to a "custom" color, but they almost always still have the non-painted headstock and tort guard that were the standard for a sunburst Jag.

What are you trading? :D

mcgruff

Just make it clear to the guy you like the guitar but you'll need to have it checked out and if it doesn't you'll be coming back for your old one.

telelion

Platinum Supporting Member
If you have very little knowledge about Fenders and vintage guitars as you state, then I would not even consider buying it because you don't even know what you like and a Jaguar is not where I would start, vintage or new.

capnjim

Depends on what value he has on it. Original Pre-CBS Jags are around 2500-3000$. I bought a 100% untouched original '64 for 2700$. If he's asking anything higher than 2k trade value, I would pass.
Its also pretty easy to look at the pots and switches to see if its got the cloth wiring.

GreenKnight18

If you have very little knowledge about Fenders and vintage guitars as you state, then I would not even consider buying it because you don't even know what you like and a Jaguar is not where I would start, vintage or new.
Despite them not getting much TGP love, Jaguars are great. They are one of the few decent vintage Fenders that are still relatively affordable. How much would a refin 64 Strat or Tele cost? For my taste, style and hand size Jaguars deliver everything I want and love about Fender guitars. If the OP is getting a good deal (he hasn't specified that crucial bit of info) even if he doesn't get along with the guitar he can sell it and maybe come out ahead.

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
You don't have to know about vintage fenders to enjoy a vintage jaguar. Jaguars are great instruments for a lot of different styles

telelion

Platinum Supporting Member
I don't disagree about the rebuttals to my advice in the sense that Jags are cool guitars but I wouldn't be buying expensive items in a field that I knew very little about. Of course unless it was an outright obvious steal.

vangkm

What are you trading? :D
A mixer + another guitar. He needed a mixer asap and saw my ad locally.

He contacted me and I considered it. I was trying to do my due diligence and learn about the guitar, etc...before even agreeing to the deal.

But it doesn't matter I ended up doing a deal for a straight trade on another guitar.

Trending Topics