Mighty Might Replacement Necks?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fuzzface71, Aug 19, 2008.

1. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

How do you guys like it? Is it good quality? Is it as good as Fenders, if not better?

2. fuzzface71

3. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Their quality has gotten better in the past 5 years and they offer some nice options like jumbo frets, a compound radius and V profiles. I just wish they'd make 'em with heel adjust. I'd put them on a par with average Fender MIM necks.

4. fuzzface71

That means no good, huh. Oh well, I got one for $100.

5. xhavepatiencex

xhavepatiencex Member

I put one on a parts tele I got it from http://mjwcustoms.4t.com/ He did a fret level and polish before he sent it out. The neck was really great I though. On par with most fender american stuff I have played. I do not have the tele anymore for various reasons.

6. fuzzface71

Is Allparts any better?

7. Mudder

Mudder Member

I would say MM is alright for a parts player/beater, if you wanted a killer neck you'll have to pay more than $100. USAGC, Warmoth, and Musikraft all have killer necks, all for 2.5 times as much.

8. Truckstop

Truckstop Member

MM are and will always be 'budget' parts IMO. It's good parts but they don't stand out in the crowd. I've had two tele necks from MM, they were both good but nothing extraordinary. The wood seems good, but the frets seems to be of rather low quality. Mine got pretty worn down after only six months.

9. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I think Allparts is the best deal out there. Quality is great and it's cheap. You just can't customize. I've heard bad stuff about MM. Lots of fret work needed.

10. jrm

jrm Member

I jsut picked one up for $70. Gonna build a guitar and thought it woudl be good to start with a neck that I can learn on without worrying about screwing it up.

11. jleung

jleung Member

I bought a Mighty Mite neck for my partscaster and the frets are horrible. I'm eventually going to get a USACG or Warmoth neck.

12. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Supporting Member

Carvin makes some killer Strat necks if you can live with the headstock or you can shape your own.

13. Structo

Structo Member

I've had good luck with MM necks.
    But you get what you pay for.
    They are a hundred dollar neck.

The only thing I hate about them is the black plastic truss plug they put on the headstock.
    Why can't they make a heel adjust? Or use a walnut plug?

MM and Allparts may even be made in the same factory in Japan for all I know.

But after buying a few Allparts necks, I now prefer them, you can get a lot more options in profile, frets, radius plus you can get heel adjust.

Usually if you shop around ebay or know a dealer you can get a MM neck for around $85.
    If you know an Allparts dealer you can save around 30% and get a neck for around $120.

Just about any neck you buy from any source is going to need fret work unless you pay for the maker to do it.

I don't care if it's USCG or Warmoth, the frets will probably need dressing.

USCG seems to be better on the fret work lately than Warmoth plus Tommy is such a great guy to deal with at USCG it makes it an even more enjoyable transaction.
    Try to get Warmoth to deal with a problem or replace a defective neck sometime......

14. jleung

jleung Member

That's true but I don't think I should have to get mine refretted (which is what the tech said when one string kept buzzing).

15. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

+1 for Mark at MJW Customs. I've gotten two MM necks from him and both are actually very nice. Frets are perfect, I replace the plastic nuts with Tusq and they're great necks. You'll never get a really fat profile neck from MM, but if you like the medium profiles these are perfectly fine. I have one compound radius and one V neck.

16. fuzzface71

Thanks for the input guys. Like what I said I got the neck for $100. If it doesn't work out I'll just sell it for the same price.

I have a '66 CIJ Strat that I really wanted to add a rosewood with big headstock neck. The neck that I have right now is just great, actually just perfect, but I just wanted a rosewood. If it doesn't work, I'll just put the old one back on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200247841026&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Btw, how can I tint this neck a bit darker?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  17. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

You can usually find a used Squier fairly cheap with a better neck on it than Mighty Mite makes.

Go to Allparts for the minimum level of quality needed to justify taking the old neck off. And if you really want serious quality, go USA Custom Guitars.

18. fuzzface71

Would it be better if I just get a Fender CIJ rosewood neck off Ebay? But they are pricey. :(

19. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I never said they were "no good" - I just said their quality has improved. Some of us like to build the old school style with the heel adjust. Don't worry - you'll get there one of these day . . . I guarantee it - :D

20. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

I have a few warmoth necks, top quality in my opinion.

If you really want a fender neck, there's lots of people parting out fenders on ebay.