Mighty Mite necks? Any good?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by atomheartmother, Jun 28, 2006.

1. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

I've always heard that they are crap, but I've recently been tipped off about some that are supposed to be nice (their upgraded models or something). I have to say that they look very nice. Any expierence with these?

I've got a parts Strat coming in (MIM Robert Cray body/MIM Standard neck), and I'm thinking about swapping the MIM neck out for something else (with bigger frets and preferrebly better quality).

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-STRATOCASTER-BIRDSEYE-EBONY-LIC-STRAT-NECK-SEBE4_W0QQitemZ230002763813QQihZ013QQcategoryZ41423QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&item=170001708949&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7380932240&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7418274722&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Mighty Mite necks don't fit the standard Fender neck pocket. They're bigger than the neck pocket.

I'd go with something better, by Warmoth, or USCG, or keep the neck the guitar comes with.

3. atomheartmother

Are you sure? All the sellers claim that they fit perfectly. I've also been told by a forumite that his MM neck fits all of his Strat bodies (Fender, Warmoth, etc.).

4. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Also take a look at AllParts necks. Really fine quality for about the same price as the Mighty Mites. I got a Tele neck with a fat U-shape profile, 9.5" radius, med-jumbo frets, nitro finish for $160. Beautiful neck. I had to install a nut though. Got a Tusq preslotted blank for $8. An hour with some sandpaper and a file and it fits like a glove.

I read that AllParts = Fender Japan.

5. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I put together a tele using a Mitey Mite neck and a Fender Am Series body. The neck fit the pocket like it was meant to be and the tele turned out great. I've seen other post negative things about the Mitey Mite necks but my experience was a positive one.

6. atomheartmother

Where'd you get it? They are unfinished at Allparts. For the price you paid, I'd get an Allparts. However, it'd cost a bundle to finish it properly (plus a lot of time). I don't see any on eBay.

7. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Mighty Mite Necks are supposedly licensed by Fender - whatever that means...

8. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

They must have started making them narrower recently then.

I'd still buy a better neck to go on a Fender.

9. HHB

HHB Member

another happy Allparts customer. amazing bang for the buck. I'm doing my own neck finishing w/ Tru-oil ala Music Man w/ a spraycan nitro headstock face, it's easy, cheap and gives amazing results. Anyone looking for a ever so slightly smaller Nocaster size should check out the Allparts FATseries, a killer ballbat style that screams Fender Custom Shop

ps Allparts are licenced and fit Fender USA Japan and Squire like a glove
    I know the MIM bridge spacing is different from USA/Japan

10. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

One of the things it means is that they get to use the Fender headstock shapes.

11. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

anyone knows how to take the laqeur off the neck? i find my new neck to be really sticky... some have bought a satin finished one.... darn!

12. HHB

HHB Member

get some micromesh or scotchbrite and start rubbing. the micromesh is best as it can be buffed back if you sell, the scotchbrite takes the finish off for good

13. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

AllParts has a few models that come finished. The model I got is the TMNF-FAT, just a great neck. The TMNF-V is exactly the same neck as the one on my friends Fender Bigsby Tele.

I got it from this eBay shop, nice folks to deal with. I originally bought a neck that I thought would be thicker than it turned out to be. They let me exchange it for the model I got, no problems at all.

http://stores.ebay.com/id=41932694&ssPageName=STRK:MEFS:MESST

14. atomheartmother

Here's the thing. For I could get a Warmoth neck ($157, no finish, no nut, no tuners) for LESS than an Allparts ($160, un-finished, no nut, no tuners). What's my motivation to get an Allparts? With Warmoth I also have a lot more options.

15. atomheartmother

Cool. I found a finished All Parts for pretty cheap. Few questions: will the string spacing be messed up if I put a neck with a 1 5/8" nut on a body that originally had a neck with a bigger nut width (Robert Cray Strat has a nut width between 1 5/8 and 1 11/16). Also, where can I get a nut? I could take it to a tech, but they'd charge probably $40 for it. If I could find one myself for cheap and just have them touch it up, I could save a bundle.

Also, do Allparts necks usually need fret finishing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...20002455595&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

16. HHB

HHB Member

I was basing this off the Mighty Mite description, Warmoth are great, but the Allparts I've seen have been nicer than most associate w/ the Allparts name, grab a Warmoth is they got one you like, just dont discount Allparts as a nice neck

17. Soulman

Soulman Member

I've got a MM neck purchased from Stewmac on my Black Strat.

http://www.ddguitar.net/blackstrat.htm

OK quality and it fits a Fender Am. Series body perfectly.

I did have the frets levelled a bit better and the finish was really thin.

Hope that helps.

18. Stk1520

Stk1520 Supporting Member

I just finished a Strat build using a MM neck and I’m just starting another one using an Allparts SRO-C. I can’t comment on whether the MM will fit a Fender body since I used all aftermarket stuff, but I can say that the MM neck took quite a bit of work to make it playable. The frets needed a level and crown, and the fret edges were very sharp and required a good amount of filing to smooth them out. The nut is plastic and pre-notched, but you’ll have to do the final shaping and filing on it (it’s not playable out of the box). Also, my MM neck had a slight twist in it and it took a good amount of work on the truss rod (and a little manhandling) to make it playable. The standard MM finish is a very thin coat of clear lacquer that can be sanded off pretty easily – I just tinted over it and cleared it using Reranch products. After all the work, the MM neck plays well and looks great, but I’m still occasionally tweeking the truss rod two months later. I paid $79.00 for the neck on ebay.

I immediately noticed that the $120 Allparts neck was of a much higher quality. The frets look great and I don’t think any leveling will be necessary. The neck is also straight as an arrow; however, you’ll have to cut and install your own nut. Allparts does sell finished necks although I went with a bare wood neck since I’m going to do my own finishing.

I chose Allparts for my latest build because I wanted a vintage look (21 frets) but with a modern board radius (10”) – I don’t think Warmouth offers 21 fret boards in anything other than a 7-1/4” radius. Something else to consider – you mentioned wanting bigger frets and with the MM, you can get either medium jumbos or jumbos (which is what I used) - a very nice big fret. However, the Allparts SRO-C came with a tall narrow fret (.080" x .050") and I’ve heard that they (Fender of Japan, who manufactures the Allparts necks)will occasionally switch fret sizes without notice during a particular production run.

Just my experience, hope this helps.

Jim K.

19. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

The Mighty Mite necks made today are far better quality than those made a year or two ago. The wood is nicer, the fit and finish is better, the frets are level and they're well finished. This was not true in the past. The one area that could stand to get a little better is the nut. It's plastic, which is a low end nut material, and it needs some tweaking before playing...which is better than a pre-finished nut that isn't fit for your guitar.

I have two of the newer MM necks, a #2902 maple/maple V-shape, and a #2929 maple/rosewood C-shaped...both in 9 1/2" radius. I have fitted these two necks to a Fender Deluxe Players Strat body, a USACG body, and a koa Warmoth body. In all cases the neck pocket fit was tight as it should be. That's more than I can say for many a Fender MIM neck.

The AllParts necks are definitely very good quality, but even they weren't always as good as they are now. Things change, sometimes for the worse...and sometimes for the better.

20. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

The frets on my AllParts neck are excellant, no touch ups required from the looks of them.

I don't thinkyou'll have any problems using a 1 5/8" nut. You'll have a touch narrower spacing over the neck pickup, really minimal difference. Good luck, that looks like a nice Strat neck!