Mighty Mite necks: recommended?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by deadllama, Feb 26, 2012.

1. deadllama

deadllama Member

I need some advice from the Partscaster crowd before I embark on this project.

I've got a Classic Vibe BSB Tele that needs a new neck. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a new one, but I also don't want to buy a cheap neck if it's not going to be good and I'm going to end up replacing the new neck, too.

Are Mighty Mite necks any good? I've seen good reviews, and I've seen some people say they're garbage. I'm looking for something Broadcaster-ish for this guitar... are any of the Mighty Mite necks going to have that huge profile?

Thanks in advance. You guys rock. :bow

2. matt3310

matt3310 Member

I just got one last week. The profile feels great. The nut was junk, and the fit and finish was just ok. The fret ends had to be filed down. They were very sharp! Also the frets weren't level.
    All that was easy enough to fix though. Just don't expect a straight bolt on neck without doing some work to it. It turned out very nice.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

they're kinda cheap, on a par with what you have. warmoth or USACG would be significant upgrades.

still, you'd need to level the frets on just about any replacement neck to get it to really play well, so that can make up for some inconsistencies.

4. tylerfreak

tylerfreak Member

the one i had was junk...never again; spend $50 more and get a good neck

5. Tweedledee

Tweedledee Member

I've certainly heard people complain about them, but I just bought one of their V profile Tele necks for an inexpensive project and I have to say I'm quite impressed. I normally use Warmoth or Allparts necks for partscasters, and apart from the cheap nut (which I replaced) the Mighty Mite neck I received is excellent. Great fretwork - no need to level anything. The V profile is comfortable.

They come with a thin satin poly finish, but I scuffed that up a bit with steel wool and gave it a 10 coat amber tinted Tru Oil finish.

They don't make a thick profile like a Broadcaster. The cheapest way to get something that fat, as far as I am aware, is to go for an Allparts Fat neck.

6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Some folks think pretty highly of the guitar you have now.

Unfortunately the #1 most treasured attribute on the CV is the very highly detailed neck. Pity to dump that.

IF this model was worth buying in the first place, you wanna neck as good as the one you now have or better. The MM necks are available in better sizes but they're basically at least one step below what you have now. Makes no sense to do that - the neck is maybe the first best place to throw down the extra money, on any guitar IMO.

7. yacht_rocker

yacht_rocker Member

I bought one for my partscaster that I built last year. Had to replace the nut and file down a few fret ends but it was a good learning experience. Sure, I wanted a Warmoth neck but the money I saved let me get good pickups and a nicer bridge.

8. dazco

dazco Member

Bought 2 of them once because they were so cheap. Both were tonally dead as a doornail and i actually felt they were so bad i couldn't sell them in good conscience and tossed them. No kidding. Wouldn't touch another MM product with a 10 foot pole. YMMV, but i doubt it.

9. theaxedoctor

theaxedoctor Member

I ordered one and it wasn't really that great. The frets were sharp and the fingerboard itself wasn't level. I had to pull the frets and plane the board, which needless to say, was a huge pain. I'd go warmoth.

dubbinman likes this.
  10. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

The frets must be aluminum or something. I was getting dead spots in a year and a half.

11. Rancor33

Rancor33 Member

My experience with a MM neck was very good (and continues to be). I got a 9.5" to 12" compound radius strat neck from CEG Hardtails. They do a full fret leveling, crowning, dressing and polish job on their MM necks. I can't tell how good or bad the fretwork was originally, but CEG Hardtails did a great job on it. Absolutely perfect and needed no extra work. The neck itself has a slightly larger C profile than a Fender C shape which I find very comfortable and tonally it seems great as well. The only thing I replaced was the plastic nut. In the end, much better than I expected.

12. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

I'd recommend Allparts for a great bang for your buck neck. They aren't as pricey as some alternatives, but their quality is high and they have some nice options.

13. deadllama

deadllama Member

I like the feel of the neck, too, really, but mine took a tumble off the back of an outdoor stage onto a parking lot. (I know, I know. Somebody backed into it when it was on a stand. That's why I had my CV Tele at that gig and not my Rickenbacker.)

The finish damage doesn't bother me, but now the 7th, 12th, and 14th (and half of the 3rd) frets are all dead, like the next fret is too high or something, and several other frets have grooves in them. One side effect of the CV Tele being so cheap is that it can't really take abuse the way a real Tele can, I guess.

I know these frets are glued in and it's a cheap guitar to begin with so I didn't want to go through the hassle (and expense) of getting it refretted when it'd still have all the horrible cracks and gouges in that thick tinted finish, and when the refret would cost more than a new neck.

I could just buy another CV BSB neck on eBay, I guess, but the frets would still be glued in and kinda scratchy the way the original one was. A $300 guitar's never going to have perfect fretwork. I was looking to upgrade the neck instead of replacing it because I like the guitar so much.

Maybe I should be the first guy to have a CV Tele with a Musikraft Blackguard neck on it. Or save my money and get an MIM Baja Tele. I really like the pine body on the CV, though.

Thanks for all the responses, though. So far by my count they're right down the middle, positive vs. negative.

14. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

Why not have a look on ebay for a secondhand original?
    If not I would pay the extra and go for better quality than the mightymite ones..

15. telest

telest Member

I have a MM Strat neck I've had for years and this particular one is great. Huge frets, that they don't have now, comfy C profile. I've owned several nice Warmoth necks and this MM neck is right there as well. Their consistancy may be an issue, don't know. I maybe got lucky.

Steve

16. Cylon

Cylon Senior Member

for 50$ more you can get a warmoth or hit up stratosphere on ebay for the same model neck