MIJ '68 Stratocaster reissue

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jjdhawg, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Jjdhawg

Jjdhawg Member

Hey folks, I've been gassing for one of these lately. It is exactly what I want in a strat (except the pups but that's trivial) but I'm just not so sure about the 40mm nut. I have myself convinced it's too small but really how noticeable is it? Sadly I don't have the opportunity to try one out pre purchase.

2. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

The necks are slim, not so much because of the nut. I think they probably vary some. Note that if we are talking guitars sold and imported to theUSA by Fender USA, if its a 2piece nat finish circa 96 ,guitars sold as 68 Reissues sometimes are MIJ 67 Reissues if you go by the neck markings and ID info on some sellers claims.

3. Jjdhawg

Jjdhawg Member

I'm talking a new one off the Fender Japan site. My other 2 strats have beefy necks ('65 AVRI and a'62 AVRI Hot Rod, the '62 is like a baseball bat) so I'm not opposed to having one with a thinner neck. Just hoping the 40mm isn't a big deal. I mean it's only 2mm in the difference but sometimes a little is a lot and like I said, I have no chance to play one.

4. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Is this the off-white '68 with alder body? If so, it has my interest as well. :)

5. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

I don't know about the new ones but my late 80's one had the thinnest (depth wise) neck of any Strat l've played. Cool guitar but l couldn't bond with it.

6. Jjdhawg

Jjdhawg Member

Personally I'd like to grab the 3csb (my '65 is white) but more then likely we're talking about the same one, the model is st68tx.

7. Jjdhawg

Jjdhawg Member

That's what I'm afraid of, I wish they just had the U shape with the 42mm nut. It would be as simple as just ordering one off ebay if that was the case lol.

8. Jjdhawg

Jjdhawg Member

After going to the local L&M and playing a guitar with a 40mm nut I don't see that being a problem. Any one else care to chime in with experience in relation to neck size? Can't seem to find any depth measurements anywhere. I'm so close to pulling the trigger but still a bit skeptical.