MIJ acoustics

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 84superchamp, Feb 10, 2015.

1. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

i know some electric models made in Japan (strats for instance) have more value than imports from other countries..Korea, Indonesia. just wondering if this applies to any acoustics? i don't know the history of this guitar but i've had it for 20 years and started wondering about the Japan connection. any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 84superchamp

3. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

60s and 70s saw boatloads of Japanese acoustics come in. Most of them had 'features' like heavy plywood faces with spruce vernier, and a finish better suited to a surfboard. Thus they got a bad reputation. Some like Yamaha, were actually quite good.

I've got a Conrad from the era, with a beautiful solid spruce face and Brazilian rosewood back and sides that's a wonderful thing, but cash-wise, I couldn't more than a couple of hundred bucks or so.

Look at ebay completed sales for ideas of prices.

4. 84superchamp

thanks andrew. it does seem to have a very heavy finish, beautiful but heavy and not an easy fretboard to navigate. i think you're real close with the $200.

5. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

The adj bridge saddle was modeled after 60s Gibsons but generally indicates earlier less desirable MIJ acoustics. In your case figure 2 bills would be quite good , copy of a Gibson Hummingbird. If it played well and sounded great that would be good. Decent tuners and an unlikely solid top would help. Dixon might have been a house brand.

6. 84superchamp

funny about that adjustable bridge: it is adjusted as low as it can go but the action is still too high on that end of the fretboard. almost like the top becoming concave rather than convex..but not noticeable to the naked eye. nice paint job, though!

7. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

That probably is a neck set issue and probably not an economical or traditionally fixable repair. However it probably possible to pull the saddle and adjustment screws etc and replace with a saddle fabricated to fit and lower the action, just like folks often do with Gibsons.

8. 84superchamp

i agree. a guy i know who works on acoustics (not a luthier) said the saddle would probably have to be pulled off, shave some off the thickness and remount. i'm not brave enough to try it.

for now, it's tuned to open D with a slide in the case.;)

9. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Supporting Member

I just started keeping an eye out locally for any of the supposedly decent 70's Martin copies. I'd love a nice D-18 copy. Sometimes you can get them at a steal.

10. '56 Merc

'56 Merc Member

I have two '70 Japanese acoustic guitars. One is a Tokai Cats Eyes Martin copy and the other is a Penco Gibson Dove copy. Both are very well made, great sounding, very playable guitars.

11. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

I have two Japanese acoustic flattops- a 1973 S. Yairi Model 9100 copy of a Martin New Yorker and an early 1970s Alvarez OOO-sized acoustic. They both sound very good.