• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

MIJ and Vintage Boss Pedals

savage

Can anyone tell me why people think they can get twice as much for an old MIJ pedal? I know they are supposed to sound better however you can pick up a boutique pedal that is many times better for the same as there asking price. Are ther really Boss pedal collectors out there?

ShaneV

Supply and demand I guess. I have some MIJ and metal screw BOSS stuff sitting around that I should sell before the bottom drops out of that game.

Bar-B-Kill

All my Boss stuff is all 1985 or older. I'm not in the boutique market price wise, so I decided to go vintage. I think there may be a slight difference in tone with the older stuff. I have 2 SD-1's, both MIJ, an 84, & 81. The 84 clearly has more gain, and the 81 is just warmer sounding. According to Bossarea.com, it appears the early Boss stuff used better components and were made with more care. I read a post from that site that said that if you A/B 10 early 80's DS-1's, maybe 3 would sound the same, but I know my SD-1's have different character. The MIJ stuff for the most part are still going up in value, compared to the MIT. For my dime, if I'm looking at Boss gear, its going to be old and beat up. Rock on dudes!

:rockin

Bman20

Silver Supporting Member
bumping an old thread here but i too have recently got into Boss pedals. I now own an '82 DM-2 and an '85 SD-1. Having owned many modern made in taiwan boss pedals (which were mostly thin and sounded like they cost), these vintage MIJ pedals are FAR superior to the newer stuff. Not even in the same ballpark. I own/have owned tons of boutique drives/delays, and the dm-2 and sd-1 hold their ground easily with anything ive owned. super cool pedals imo

Last edited:

tnt365

I probably would have never thought I would after ditching Boss a few years ago, but I like Boss foot-switches. The footswitches on my MIT CE-2 and MIJ CE-3 I just bought are super comfy to step on (especially with no shoes :D).

loiking

Just because it's boutique does not mean it's many times better...

A lot of boutique Analog Delays for example, are basically tweaked clones of the Boss DM-2. Many Vibrato's are based off VB-2's etc.

trower

[geer/peyj] hubris, confuse, paralysis by analysis
Gold Supporting Member
I do like the Spectrum and it's impossible to find and I've yet to find a pedal it's equal. It would probibly go for around $500 in great cond.

scotty31

Silver Supporting Member
ive owned a few and i will attest to the following:

MIT CE3 or CE5 has nothing on the lushness of a CE2.
and dont get me started on the CE1.
For around $100-150, the CE2 is close to one of the best value classics going around if you like a rich chorus tone

MIJ PH1r. At its slowest speed, its one of the best phase tones ive heard.
even my go-to classic phaser (block phase 90) isnt as sweet at a veeeeerrry slow speed.

MIJ DM2 - w/mn3005. hands down the best delay on the market. mojo in spades

MIJ DS1 is the 80s classic rock tone. the new ones, and even those built 20 odd years ago have nothing on the lack of tin and more pronounced low end.
Again, at around $100 a pop, these are great value classics for when you just wanna rock out

MIJ VB2. have to own it to understand. i miss mine. wish i could justify the cash for one, cos it was cool.

seriously though, go get an mij ds1, ce2, ph1r and dm2 (throw an original whiteface rat in) and you are set.

larimar

I like the MIJ stuff as well but there are also MIT only version pedals like the the FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz which are pretty cool too!

dave_mc

Just because it's boutique does not mean it's many times better...

A lot of boutique Analog Delays for example, are basically tweaked clones of the Boss DM-2. Many Vibrato's are based off VB-2's etc.
+1

an awful lot of those older MIJ bosses are the basis for an awful lot of boutique pedals...

vanguard

bumping an old thread here but i too have recently got into Boss pedals. I nowown an 82 DM-2 and an '85 SD-1. Having owned many midern made in taiwan boss pedals (which were mostly thin and sounded like they cost), these vintage MIJ pedals are FAR superior to the newer stuff. Mit even in the same ballpark. I own/have owned tons of boutique drives/delays, and the dm-2 and sd-1 hold their ground easily with anything ive owned. super cool pedals imo
disagree. i've got MIJ VB-2's, SD-1's, DS-1's, CE-1, CE-2, mn3005 DM-2, etc. are they killer pedals? oh hell yeah:dude

. . .but i also have MIT CH-1's, SD-1's, DD-?'s, etc. and they are equally awesome, just in different ways. does boss make some stinkers now and again? yeah; but they always have. BOSS is and was a great company with great (and not so great) offerings. saying MIJ is just better means nothing. i'm one of those crazy "boss collectors" the OP is wondering about BTW. . .

Tito83

OC-2 is "the" one to have for octave down suff, just sounds great.
CE-1 is the best chorus ever IMO.
DM series is a bit dark for my taste, but the DD-2 sounds awesome!
Not really a fan of the OD stuff aside the BD-2.

Clean Channel

Personally, I adore Boss pedals; some of the best stuff ever made. They sound incredible and are built to last. At the risk of over posting (just finished putting it together last week and posted in some pedalboard threads), here's my an all-Boss board I put together with some of my all time favorite Boss effects:

Bman20

Silver Supporting Member
can anyone here give a comment on the sg-1? ive recently discovered this pedal and it seems pretty cool, but theyre super rare and expensive. r they worth the cash? and is the lazy sprocket byoc a good clone?

Clean Channel

Beautiful! They are all in such great shape too!
Thanks Twanger! I try to get good condition ones when possible, and make every effort to be careful with my gear, even when gigging (although, I admit it sometimes hard to be careful on stage in the heat of the moment).

can anyone here give a comment on the sg-1? ive recently discovered this pedal and it seems pretty cool, but theyre super rare and expensive. r they worth the cash? and is the lazy sprocket byoc a good clone?
I have one. It's really just a simple reverse compressor; not all that useful, one-trick pony, and definitely not worth the price! I only keep mine as a Boss-fanatic-show-off-piece and because it's fun to use from time to time.

If you want to try one just get this or this:
http://www.dingotone.com/customshop/discontinued-pedals (scroll down to VSW)
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/SM200.aspx

Or another option is the Pigtronix Attack/Sustain.

Bman20

Silver Supporting Member
thanks for the info cleanchannel. u should sell me ur sg-1 for $100 ha

Trending Topics

Top Bottom