• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

MIJ Fender Tele - help with accurately dating

Matt Novak

So, a local pawn shop has a sunburst Telecaster '62 Custom. At the heel of the neck is a 'Made in Japan' decal, and the neckplate is stamped FENDER - no visible serial number to be seen on the headstock, neck plate or bridge. They have it advertised as an '85 model, I wanted to double check that as it looks practically new (aside from yellowed binding). I've searched for a definitive answer but wikipedia / Fender / TGP etc seem to contradict eachother.

Any clues?

tim gueguen

Sounds like someone removed the serial number. It should be at the heel of the neck if it's not on the headstock.

superwho

Some had them stamped on the bridge, if the bridge was swapped, that would explain it. Should say in the neck pocket if you can a look at it

texrun38

Agree with the above. I have a '94 MIJ '62 Custom, and it has the s/n on the back bottom/base of the neck right below the "Made In Japan" decal. S/N decal is also silver.

Awesome guitars, by the way. Phenomenal neck.

Matt Novak

Thanks for the replies chaps. Perhaps I missed something when I first checked it out; I'll look again today.

Matt Novak

Ok, so I checked it out again today - the serial number is stamped into the bridge: A046429 which according to Fender makes it an 85/86 model.

Any idea of the value? Can't check ebay from work... it's up for £329 (which is about $500).

Chris H.

If that Tele has FENDER stamped on the neckplate then it could have been made anytime between approx 1986 and 1992. You can't accurately date these MIJ's using the "A" serial number, these were still on Tele bridges in 1997! To get a proper date of when it was made you would have to take the neck off for a pencil written date on the heel of the neck.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
For $500US assuming you like it and it plays well I buy it in a second. I just bought a used CIJ Tele 62RI neck for a build I'm doing and that ran me $375 shipped. I'm a huge fan of MIJ/CIJ 62RI's.

straycat113

Bingo! We have a winner lol. Chris H is exactly on the money in his post. I am a big fan of MIJ Fenders and still have my original 3 MIJ Tele's from back in the day which are the only non US made instruments I own.If everything is correct I would be all over it for that price.

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
I paid 385 dollars for an '87 MIJ black guard Telecaster refinished in natural that turned me onto telecasters, after years of trying the newer 'improved' models. That was almost 10 years ago, 500 today would be a good price for an unmolested one, indeed.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom