MIJ Jazzmaster electronics VS AVRI or other Jazzmaster electronics

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by g335, May 17, 2008.

1. g335

g335 Member

Hello

I have a MIJ Jazzmaster and want to replace the pots and electronics. Besides the Japanese pots being small, what are the differences between American and Japanese pots? Is it worth the upgrade? Will I have to enlarge the holes in my MIJ Jazzmaster?

Help:RoCkIn

2. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

BIG difference in quality. The US components are far better made, and you'll probably notice a difference right away. I don't believe that you'd have to rout the cavities any deeper, but you may have to enlarge the shaft hole in the pickguard slightly and maybe get USA knobs as well.

While you're under the hood, pop a new set of pickups in there!

3. Carli28

Carli28 Member

I will recommend you to visit www.offsetguitars.net
    You will find all the info you will ever need, and even more!

4. chewynodoubt

chewynodoubt Senior Member

site doesn't exist...or is down

5. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

It is unfortunately true (for you) that the US reissue pickups are a lot better than the stock Japanese ones, but even so the US ones are not proper reissues of the JM pickup. Check out some of the boutique varieties, Seymour Duncan makes an Antiquity for the JM and I would expect it to be a very good pickup.

6. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

How do the US pickups differ from vintage Jazzmaster pickups?

7. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

I believe the vintage pickup had a wider and flatter coil than the AVRI one, and the pole pieces are shaped differently on the reissue (no biggie here). I'm trying to figure out where I got this info at the moment.

8. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

The shape thing is between MIJ/CIJ pickups and US. AVRI is the same as vintage. Biggest differences are age, and quality control both on individual materials and final product. The consistency of the new pickups is much better. Unfortunately. See, the real magic happens by accident. One guy finds his dream sound with a slightly hotter set, another with a lower output set. Or a mismatched set... That doesn't happen anymore. They sound alike, which is good. And they sound alike. Which is bad.