MIJ Strat ?s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sharkey, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

I'm in the market for a fairly cheap but great playing Strat.I have read here Japanese Strat's are a great bang for the buck guitar's and some prefer them over the MIA Strat's. Can anyone fill me in on these guitars. Are some years better than others? I tried several search's too no avail. I have my eye on a really sweet looking reissue made in 2002 but thought I would ask what my fellow tone hounds thoughts. Anyone here like these?
    Thanks

2. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

Sharkey

First, I have limited experience with electric guitars. I got back into playing about a year ago and only then started playing electrics as well as acoustics. So, this is an opinion with less than expert credentials.

In the USA I own 3 strats. A Kon Tiki special, a Deluxe, and an EJ. The EJ is by far the best playing of the 3 and sounds the best also.

Here in Thailand in my second home I wanted a strat. The local store had few and the best of the bunch was a MIJ. I got limited tryout in their store on a junk amp but GAS made me buy it.

I am not happy with it. It appears to be a well made guitar, but the action is higher than my EJ or Deluxe. Everything works but the amount of single coil noise is excessive and the tone is just so-so. At this point I am planning on selling or trading it and making the trek to Bangkok to see if I can find an EJ up there.

I think this is a decent guitar for the money. I am just willing to pay more for a better one. Perhaps with a different set of pickups it might be OK. Just not for me.

Best of luck in your decision.

3. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Hey thanks Jimmy,
    Man im joansin for a EJ Strat after playin one at Fat Sound Guitar shop a few weeks back but I just can't swing that kind of cash at the moment.
    Hopeing too spend about half that much and drop a set of my Fralins in too tie me over . Damn good advice on the EJ though:AOK

4. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

Some of the nicest playing and affordable guitars I have ever owned were MIJ/CIJ. Ive had a 57ri hardtail, 62ri and a 68ri lefty lately, and have really enjoyed them all, great craftsmanship and solid players. I changed the PUPs on all of them because I had the opportunity to and they are inexpensive enough that modding them doesn't hurt their value. Try one, mine were all early to mid 80's models, and readily available on the bay.

[​IMG]

5. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

If you can find a 80s MIJ RI Stratocaster for around $500, definately pick one up.

P.S. I have an EJ for sale. ;)

6. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Thanks,
    Anyone Else???
    :AOK

7. whitehall

whitehall Member

I've had 3 of them, all lefty. 0ne very early 80's - shoulds kept that one, a late 80's and a 57RI that I got brand new from Ishibashi. My only complaint-- tiny necks, and on that early 80's one we're talking pencil tiny. The 57 RI had an odd tilt to it. It was the only guitar I've ever owned that made my elbow hurt afterward. Well made, pups a little weak, but good bang for the buck. The yen is trading pretty low now so prices on the new stuff is excellent.

8. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have 2 and I love them, but I swapped out the pups. One has hot 50s in it, and the other some old 70s Dimarzios. I also have a MIJ Tele that I love as well, and also changed the pups to Joe Bardens. I have 2 USA Strats and with the better pups, the MIJs hold their own, in fact, I'd say my pink one may be my favorite Strat. BTW, they are all 62 RIs except one USA is a 57 RI.

9. anyone

anyone Member

I have an E-serial # (think it's '86...) MIJ Squier that feels and plays unreal. Great resonance and balance. The body is basswood, neck is a medium C. I got it for around 2 bills and have seen plenty E#s go for around there on ebay. Ironically, I just got it to get the case for a Japanese-market 62RI, but I actually play the Squier more... go figure...

The JV serial#s go for more and are supposedly closer to vintage spec, but I don't know from experience.

For my budget, the E# Squier is great. You just need to make sure it's one with the 6-point trem.

Hope that helps,

ck

10. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

I've got a JV serial number from very early in the intial run in 82. The neck is non original, Japanese from 87, with a beautiful amber tint. The neck and middle pickups are original (US made). The bridge is a Van Vandt. I picked it up at Ishibasi's used shop on a business trip to Tokyo last summer.

I love this guitar. It sounds great and it oozes vintage vibe.

[​IMG]

11. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have a couple '67 MIJ Reissue Stratocasters that are among the best I've played (and I used to own a real '63).

12. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

I have a 1984 57 reissue that is the best strat I ever had by far. I sold my Aztec gold 2002 57 reissue USA strat immediately after I got the japanese strat. I had lots of pretty and expensive strats that I never played, expensive pickups, finishes blah blah blah. I sold all of them and I will never but another expensive strat! Now I just need to find the equivelent Tele.

13. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

One of the better "strats" I have tried was actually an old Japanese Squire

HJ

14. Fripperton

Fripperton Member

I've been a big fan of them and have owned a couple over the years. Right now I have an early JV Squier with the large 70's headstock, a 1996 '54 RI in CAR with a maple neck, a 1996 '62 RI fotoflame and a 1997 Jaguar and a JV series Squier P-Bass.. All of it is top notch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

Wow love that Black Squire!