MIJ's seem to be getting quite expensive

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, May 31, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Are they worth it? I'm scouring here and the bay for another possible addition to the collection and I'm looking at both older MIJ's, Greco, Fernandes, etc... and some MIA stuff as well. The pricing seems pretty steep because the bidding is fairly high and still not reaching reserve pricing (I'm scoping out all sorts of Tele's). I do have a CIJ 62RI Tele and I LOVE the neck, the body is nice <slightly reliced> and the electronics/pups were upgraded by the previous owner (I assume because they were not up to snuff). That was about $625; some of the stuff on the bay looks like it's going to hit $700 - 1000? That seems high for stuff where you'll probably want to replace the innards, no?

2. Gasp100

3. biggreen

biggreen Member

Ya, the MIJ Fender stuff is getting expensive, but not when you compare the alternatives. MIA reissues are a lot more cash and all MIM's they replaced the MIJ's with don't hold a candle to the quality level's of the MIJ counterparts.

4. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Part of the reason MIJ/CIJ is getting more expensive is the de-valuation of the dollar. Takes fewer Yen to make a dollar these days. Price goes up. It's just arithmetic.

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I was buying them all day and night back in 92 for around $3-400. Every bit as good if not better then the American guitars made at that time. I had a Maple V neck 56 MIJ RI That I really wish I had kept. It had EMG's with pole pieces. GREAT guitar . I think I sold it back in 93 becuase I made $50 on it. :jo:NUTS:Spank

6. groovy daddy

groovy daddy Member

Wish I had bought every one I had seen in the 80's-90-s etc. They were the best guitars for the money. What- they got collector value already? I wouldn't pay a premium for them as they are just guitars. Look hard you may find a good value yet. I got a nice CIJ last year at discount.

7. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

A MIJ Fernandes strat just sold for $100 on Ebay. I bought one for $160 around a month ago. At this point if you want the deals on quality MIJ stuff you have to find the off-brands that were OEMed in the same factories as the well known stuff. They are definitely out there. I just bought a Tokai made 335 with a name on the headstock no one would have suspected to be any quality at all for a measly $250. It's my favorite electric now, and I just sold off my last MIA guitar. Eventually these too will come to light though and they'll shoot up in price.

For a guy like me these prices kinda suck- I seem to always prefer the MIJ guitars to the work of other countries for whatever reason, so I'm stuck with these prices. My way of beating this situation was to search out the well manufactured guitars with not well known names.

8. Gasp100

I'm quite happy with the CIJ 62RI Tele and I think the Thinline I just bought is going to kill as well. It's almost easier to let other TGP'ers get a hold of the stuff, upgrade it and then wait for them to sell it off :crazyguy
    I just bought a great Fernandes strat for $275 from my local shop ($325 with a replaced nut and full setup) and it's great. I think the one you said sold for $100 was closer to $175 + shipping, but maybe it was another one... anyway, you always have to be careful with those. It's kind of hard to determine when stuff crossed over from MIJ to Taiwan and other places, especially when the seller doesn't even know.
    But you're right, you can out-research the seller some times and end up with a great deal. I think most Fender MIJ/CIJ's are a pretty sure bet from what I've seen/experienced. I guess I was just surprised to see reserves and starting bid's around $700 or so for stuff that might have less than perfect electronics. I do really dig MIJ stuff though - good stuff.

9. biggreen

biggreen Member

Ah, your lucky. I just bought a MIM thinline tele a couple days ago and it has the absolute hands down worst build quality of any guitar I have ever owned, and I have owned some cheapos, and it was the best of 3 that I looked at! :FM

At the end of the day, it sounds and plays well enough for the girls I date and I got a really good trade in value for the guitar I swapped it for, but if i had been shopping with cold hard cash I never would have bought the thing. IMO MIM is almost the kiss of death for a Fender, I remember back when they were MIJ and the only thing you really needed to worry about was the color, so to me the higher prices seem very justified.

10. Stratophile

Stratophile Member

I LOVE.....absolutely LOVE MIJ Strat's.

Hands down the best bang for the buck out there.

I have some friends that are American built Strat snobs. I told them that if they played my guitar they would HATE their guitars and just be totally cranked about the price they paid for theirs.

Mine is totally stock except for the TBX tone knob I put on it. And every time some one plays it, it just blows their mind! I've had a ton of strats over the years. This one was my first and it's the only one I've kept.

11. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Me as well. 84 Squire with a changed decal in LPB maple neck and those bar ceramic PU's. Smokin". (For a Strat..lol)

12. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

Try here: http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/
    Shipping is 12-1400 yen. I bought a new guitar, but only because the block inlay Jazzmasters weren't readily available used.
    Very nice to deal with. Noriko was my salesperson.

Tony

13. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I have a 62 reissue MIJ Strat sitting around my neck as we speak. I bought it brand new in '95 and it's a forever guitar. I relic'd it, beat it up, rusted the hardware and put it all back together. It played better after I trashed it, and I swear the guitar has gotten much more resonant over the years. It feels almost like a hollowbody. It's Candy Apple Red. I now use it as my 5-string open G guitar, although I may put the sixth string back on someday. :bow

14. deicide100

deicide100 Member

Just got this CIJ '67 RI. I'm definitely impressed. (especially the neck)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

Picked this guy up yesterday, 1983 Squier big head MIJ. These are nice guitars, even the pickups sound good.
    [​IMG]

16. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

...and getting expensive. JV series Squiers are already worth more than American Standards and the SQ series is getting there...

17. go7

go7 Member

As the OP asked "are they worth it"? Well if you bought years ago as I did, yes absolutely.Try looking at the upper end of CIJ guitars they come w/ CTS pots and Duncan Antiquities ie Edwards E-SE 128LTS. I bought mine new in 05 for $650 CDN.+ shipping and I was able to order color,radius etc.A fantastic deal and in 45 years of playing I found "my strat".Respectfully, those who are hand ringers may[or have] miss the boat as prices continue to rise.IMHO the market will eventually price these guitars where they belong. Enjoy whatever you play.

18. biggreen

biggreen Member

Nice, the JV series? I sold an 83 squier '52 tele for $1000 a few years ago on the bay. What did you pay?

19. Mudder

Mudder Member

I recently picked up a Yamaha Super R'nRoller for under $300. This one is a great guitar. I was surprised how good.

I think the Japanese LP style are getting expensive much quicker then the strat types.