Mike Campbell/Ric question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by scottlr, Feb 2, 2008.

1. scottlr

scottlr Member

Last night I saw Tom Petty on Soundstage on PBS. During one song, Mike Campbell was playing a Ric I have never seen before. It seemed like a 320 body, but a full scale neck (like a 350) but only TWO toaster pups, gold guard and stove knobs. What the hell was that?

EDIT: After a little searching, it seems Rickenbacker made this guitar custom for him! Odd, I have heard John Hall state many times they do not do custom orders. I guess if you are Mike Campbell they make an exception?

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Man, I'd have loved to have seen that. I'll check my local PBS and see if it is going to be re-aired.

IMHO, he is one of the most under-rated guitarists out there.

I watched their Old Grey Whistle Test concert (again) yesterday. He was playing his LP Deluxe..and his Ric 660/12. It was from the "Damn The Torpedo's" era.

Another guitarist that falls into that group..another Ric player..is Peter Buck. Both are great.

3. telemike

telemike Member

That episode, over two airings, was taped in fall of 2006 in Jacksonville. Great selection of guitars over the two airings. Not one Dusenberg. It must have been before he cut his deal with them.

4. nmontz

nmontz Member

It was pretty good. I liked those 64 strats. There was an article on some of Tom and Mike's vintage guitars in the Nov. 2006 vintage guitar mag. Dunno if it covers the guitar you were wondering about. I thought I caught a shot last night of just a bunch of amp heads and cabs off stage over in the tech area. I wonder if the 4 super beatles were just for show.....

5. scottlr

scottlr Member

Whatever the blog was I was reading about the Ric, they also said they were actually using the Super Beatles. I never thought those were that great of an amp in the first place, and despite the name, The Beatles never used them at all.

6. DrewB

DrewB Member

That guitar may be the "mystery Rickenbacker" that the VG article shows and mentions. If it is that one, nobody has been able to say what it is for certain. It looks like it started out as a 320 but had modifications to the upper horn. I didn't get a good enough look at the guitar onstage to know if that's the one in question, though.

7. scottlr

scottlr Member

What I saw looked like a 350 with 2 pups. The dialog in the google search I did, had Mike saying that Ric was making a guitar for Tom, and they asked if he wanted one, too. So he says, "sure" and gives them his specs. The bridge pup he says is more of a hot pup for doing solos, or something like that. Anyway, That looks like the RIC of MY dreams. I started playing guitar mostly because I thought Lennon's 325 was the coolest looking guitar ever made. But having had one, I found it to be almost toy-like and not useful for anything but Beatles songs. But no matter, that damn body shape has been in my head since I was 8 years old, and I absolutely love the look. The third pup looks cool, but gets in my way. The toasters sound great for that normal Ric sound, but not as hot as I'd like for leads. It seems like Mike has gotten the ultimate Ric I'd love to have, and it is a one of a kind that I'll never be able to have :( My best hope is to find a used 350 and convert it to my needs. But modding a Ric seems sacrilege. :)

8. DrewB

DrewB Member

I did notice that had a pretty hot sound. Wasn't he using that one for Runnin' Down A Dream? The Ricky chime sure wasn't what was coming out of the speakers.

9. philbarnes

philbarnes Member

Re Super Beatles, I saw a couple quick cuts where there were obvious glowing amp heads tucked away behind them. I could ID a Red Marshall that looked like a small box behind Mr. TP's. That said, I have seen various interviews with Mike C. indicating he records with solid state amps all the time, including a Kustom that he loves. My guess is that the SB cabs were used but the heads where props. Really enjoyed that broadcast, even dare I say the Stevie Nicks stuff. TP seemed toasted talking on the breaks and it did not impact his playing or singing one IOTA.