Mike Campbell Soundstage Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DF1, May 31, 2008.

1. DF1

DF1 Member

I need help in identifying this guitar.
    I was watching Soundstage with Petty / Heartbreakers and on a couple of tunes including the last song "Refugee" Mike Campbell played what looked like a 6120 Gretsch that was ice blue metallic but it wasn't a Gretsch logo on the headstock. It did have a Bigsby style tailpiece BUT it was not his Duesenberg Signature Model. This was a lighter colored blue and did not have the stripes. It was a bigger body than the Duesenberg model.

It seem to me that Fender had put out a model three or four years ago that resembled a 6120 Gretsch, but I'm not sure.
    Does anyone know for sure what he was playing on the last song?
    Thanks in advance.

2. DrBob

DrBob Member

You might want to check out the Duesenberg guitars website. They do a Mike Campbell sig model that's a metallic blue single cut with a Bigsby on it.

3. DF1

DF1 Member

It was not the Duesenberg. I'm familiar with that model.
    This was a bigger body than the Duesenberg and a different headstock.
    But it had the Gretsch 6120 semi-hollow, two f-holes, Bigsby thang going on.

4. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Not positive, but I think he was playing a fairly low-end DeArmond.

5. DrBob

DrBob Member

My apologies, I completely failed to read the part of your post where you explicitly stated that it wasn't his Duesenberg sig.:Spank

6. DF1

DF1 Member

Not a problem DrBob.
    DeArmond might be what that guitar was. I'll have to do a Google Image search.
    I wanted feedback from someone who has the video or had recorded it and knew for sure what that guitar model was.
    If there is a Petty / Campbell gear nut out there, they might know too. Thanks for the replies

7. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

The videos are on youtube. It matches the look of the Dearmond T-400, but they never made that in silver, and the headstock isn't right. And those seem to be Gretsch pickups. I love a mystery!

8. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

The logo/picture on the headstock looks like the Guild "G" logo (maybe with the "Guild" taped or painted over?) and build-wise kinda reminds me of an X-160 (which has DeArmond pickups apparently, but the vid guitar looks to have Dynasonics maybe?):

[​IMG]

But they seem to have that crown looking logo on the headstock so I dunno. And it has fancier fretboard inlays as well than the guitar Mike is playing. Whatever it is it looks and sounds fantastic in the vids that's for sure. You can get a good look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmj6hXHpSAs

9. walter2

walter2 Member

Let's keep this thread going and try to solve the mystery. He also plays an orange color guitar with P-90's (right before the ice blue metallic 6120 looking guitar) and it has a Gibson reverse Firebird or Trini Lopez headstock. Anyone know what two guitars he playing?

10. DF1

DF1 Member

Trying to raise the dead thread.
    Anyone with Petty or Campbell connections that can find out for sure what these two guitars in question are?

11. thedroid

thedroid Member

There was a big spread on the Petty/Campbell guitar collection in Vintage Guitar about a year ago. Don't know if either axe was in it though.

12. tonewerks

tonewerks Member

it's a 1960 gretsch clipper moded - same guitar in the I wont back down video befor it was painted -- the bigsby is a b-7 and the bridge pup is a mini bucker -dunlop 6105 frets - older grovers and thats about it

13. bluesguitarist8

bluesguitarist8 Member

Pretty sure tone works is right.also,I think the other guitar you are talking about is his bigsby guitar.Mike has two of those orange bigsby guitars one is a double cut away and the other is single cut away.both are originals not reissues.anybody have specific models on those two bigsbys though?

14. charveldan

charveldan Senior Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul
    Sounds like cambell is playing on rubber bands, terrible.

Sounds nothing like the original recording, i'm a big cambell fan, maybe youtube killed off the tone.

I'm really digging the red Marshalls though.:crazyguy

15. bluesguitarist8

bluesguitarist8 Member

yeah you are right the sound is horrible on youtube link.The actual dvd sounds great though.Tom plays through the red marshalls.Mike is playing throght the stack of amps on his side.I think some pricetons a vibratone for you dont know how it feels.Mike lately has been playing through a blackface princeton and a tweed deluxe.I belve a 65 and a 59.that is all and he sounds amazing.in clubs and in the stadium shows since about 05 possibly before.The super beatles that are on stage for the heartbreaker shows are not being played through for mike.I think for the big shows he also has a vox in an iso cab.but the house sound is a blend of those three amps.When he plays out with the Dirty Knobs all he plays through is the princeton and t deluxe.

16. dead mike

dead mike Member

17. DF1

DF1 Member

Thanks for the information Tonewerks.

18. JoshuaJH1987

JoshuaJH1987 Member

Toneworks, thanks for the info. I saw a video clip on the heartbreaker's website in which the guitar tech states it just as you did. My only question, is what kind of neck/headstock is on this guitar? It doesn't match up with a usual 6120 clipper at all, and I can't figure out what else it could be. Any idea as to weather or not he might have had a different neck put on that guitar?

19. tonewerks

tonewerks Member

nope its all stock wood