Mike Campbell's new amp setup

zacmac

cool that he uses the "less desirable" fender amps; No-reverb princeton, wide-panel tweed, modern circuit board amp.
He's the only person I have heard make a wide panel deluxe sound good, I wonder if he has cooler tubes in there to let him use pedals in front?

Those non verb princetons are the best sounding fender BF cleans made IMO (minus a twin). I have 4 of them and love what they do as pedal platforms around the house

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
watching one or both of the videos that came on Mojo (Heartbreakers) - I assume they are playing in a practice space. It's pretty clear they have a wide range of vintage gear to pick from.

petty1818

I just went back to TomPetty.com and watched one of the videos on the new Duesenberg amp, which is on top of the Excelsior. Apparently it was custom made for Mike and it's supposed to be a cross between the Tweed Deluxe and the Princeton combination that he already uses, hence the colour scheme of the head. I don't know if he has changed it at all but this head usually drives the Vibratone.

I am actually dying to hear how he uses the Excelsior and how custom it is, other than the unique colour which is not offered as part of the limited run. As mentioned, it looks like he was using a Surf Green model so I wonder if he had the colour changed mid tour.

On a side note, I hope this rig run down also looks at the set up that Scott Thurston uses!

parker

He's the only person I have heard make a wide panel deluxe sound good, I wonder if he has cooler tubes in there to let him use pedals in front?

Those non verb princetons are the best sounding fender BF cleans made IMO (minus a twin). I have 4 of them and love what they do as pedal platforms around the house
Those wide panel Deluxe's sound great! Mike Campbell has the financial wherewithal to have any era Deluxe of his choosing, obviously it sounds positively righteous!

Actually got to hear that rig and him playing it 10 feet away in someone's backyard here.... blew my head off. I had to source one out and buy it, crazy good sounding amp!... now those non reverb Princetons are a bit underwhelming (I've owned two), but Mike makes them sound great.

I have heard that both Mike and Tom purchased a few Excellsiors, this could be rumor. Mike has been using a Surf Green Excellsior Pro for the summer tour and did so through the LA theater shows. I was at the Indanapolis show close up, the first show after LA and a week break for the band and the Excellsior was now a tweed one.
I have seen one picture of the back of the Duesenberg head and it appears to have 6L6's, but it was a stage shot and not directly of the amp. The item on top of the Vibratone is a microphone.

petty1818

Bloomfield fan, where did you hear that about Tom and Mike purchasing Excelsiors? I am always interested in finding out new pieces of info on their rigs! I think I might pick one up. For the longest time I have wanted a good small gig/home amplifier but have been hesitant to buy anything that's mass produced. However, this amp seems to be a steal. I just wish the Excelsior pro models came in different colours. Not a huge fan of the green or blue and the beige is just okay.

scott1568

The tone quest report raved about the Excelsior recently, and of course he put good old tunes in it, but David rarely gets things wrong. If I were looking for a small inexpensive combo from Guitar Center, that's probably where I'd start.
IMHO, those guys over at the TQR get just a little too giddy and hype up whatever they feel like writing about.

lustycourtier

I loved those exceliors until I got one. Many techs I know agree its the worst built amp theyve ever worked on. If Mike is touring one, that will be FAR from stock.

ultrevex

Doesn't surprise me one bit to see that Excelsior in the rig, I just picked one up and it's a GREAT sounding amp.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
IMHO, those guys over at the TQR get just a little too giddy and hype up whatever they feel like writing about.
there is also a correlation between the board of directors, the ads in every third publication, and the products reviewed (in spite of what seems to be a contrary mantra).

Regardless... I've not found a case were a positive review in TGP wasn't warranted and accurate.

mangoman

Gold Supporting Member
love it!

We spent some time learning some Petty tunes. I think Campbell is totally underrated. Great player. One of my new Favorites.

Jove

Mike's Excelsior is supposedly stock. There is also talk of a signature Tweed Excelsior coming out for Mike. Which really just means it will be tweed. I heard it will be called the Heartbreaker. Stay tuned!

J

Trending Topics