Mike Keneally and Dave Gregory last night

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by TheGigPig, Oct 24, 2008.

1. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

My head is spinning. I saw Mike and Dave last night playing in a little pub (Riffs Bar) in Swindon (UK). Dave was Mike's guest for a few songs which was wonderful. The sounded so great together.
    Mike is Zappa's old guitarist from his last touring line-up. He's the scariest guitarist I've ever seen. He was playing guitar with his left hand, keyboard with his right playing the most insane improvised solos I've ever heard. Can't wrap my head around what he pulled off.

Here's how scary his brain is. I met him once for 5 mins over 13 years ago...and he remembered me. Freaked me out.

Dave lent him an early 60's SG for the gig which he played through Dave's Matchless C30 head. So he wasn't even using gear he knew, he just plugged in and away he went.

I've met a couple of geniuses in my time who because of the level they operate on, don't function particularly well as humans but Mike is the nicest most normal guy ever. He hung around and caught up with all his fans who traveled up from London to see him, and just chatted and seemed really normal. And yet if he came out after the gig butt naked and covered in jelly telling stories of a colony of telepathic ants that live in his brain and control his thoughts, this probably would have made more sense to me after what I'd just heard him play.

My brain is struggling today just trying to comprehend it. I've been playing a long time, studied music and have a fairly decent grasp of the whole thing, but I can honestly say I have absolutely no idea how you would even start to come up with some of the things I heard Mike play last night.

2. Devnor

Devnor Member

Mike is amazing...I saw him with Dethklok earlier this year.

3. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

I've seen Mike about 5 times... One of my all time faves!

..."cause it's potato, potato, potato..."

I saw him perform with the band from his wonderful "Dancing" cd and they played some of the most mindboggling stuff I've ever witnessed!

4. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

Dave Gregory is one of my all time favorite guitarists. Always comes up with the coolest melodies with enough 'out' notes that sound right.

And yeah, Mike Keneally is amazing.

5. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

man, I tell you, seeing them together was something I'll never forget.

I left the gig so humbled.

It was so funny because obviously everyone that was there was a musician. Mike was getting everyone to clap along to a song, then he said 'OK stop! unless you can clap in 7/8', so of course, the entire crowd starts clapping perfectly in 7/8. Hilarious

6. MrMike

MrMike Member

I have a good friend that plays keys for the Steely Damned in San Diego. Keneally used to fill in for him at times. Mark said that he's a virtuoso on both keys and guitar, is an amazing singer, and is a sweetheart of a human being on top of it all.

7. lhallam

lhallam Member

I first saw Mike with FZ in at The Beacon in NYC.

Frank introduced him and he played a solo with one hand on the gtr, the other on keys and singing all in 3 part harmony.

I saw him yrs later in a small bar and asked him if indeed that's what he was doing and he said rather sheepishly, "Yes".

There was a vid of him on the net a few yrs ago playing a Hendrix tune where within the first 4 bars he broke a string and continued playing the tune perfectly. Dunno if it was schtick but he pulled it off nonetheless.

He is incredible.

8. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

9. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I've met and hung out with Mike on quite a few occasions. Super nice guy and insanely talented. The single most creative human I've ever met!

10. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

11. ungarn

ungarn Member

Saw Mike on a Vai tour and was blown away...been a fan since...be sure to check out the streaming Keneally Radio website...great rut-busting listening!!!

12. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Keneally + Gregory!! Wow! I have a fair amount of Keneally stuff and am an XTC fanatic, so that's a dream combo for me! What is Dave Gregory up to nowadays?

-Austin

13. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

I have a funny story for you, but first some pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here's a funny story

7 years ago I meet my -now- wife in Sydney where I was in a cover band playing some XTC songs.I'm an XTC nutcase and Dave Gregory is my favorite guitarist ever. She tells me she's from Swindon where XTC are from and she's met the guys. We hook up, get married and move to London, then to Swindon. So I end up meeting Dave at a Matt Schofield gig and he is the nicest guy you have ever met in your life.
    H does an interview for our website, and we become mates. So I'm now mates with my favorite guitarist in the world...very cool
    Anyway, a couple of months ago I ask Dave to come down to the amp shootout we did for the website. He does and plays with my band and is awesome. So at the end of the day we have a jam and he just burns. We get talking and I put it to him that we get a band together and go and do some tunes that he loves. He's done an album called 'Remoulds' where he's done a bunch of recording of songs that he loves over the years. He dissects a bunch of his favourite tunes and records all the parts himself. The idea was to do it live, like the Dave Gregory band... So now...I'm now playing in his band!!!!
    Were doing King Crimson, Yes, Buckley, Steeley Dan, Peter Gabriel, and a bunch of stuff that I just love. It's my dream gig. We've done a bunch of rehearsals and it sounds bloody fantastic. He's getting up with us on the 11th of Dec for a charity gig we're doing in swindon and the full band thing kicks off in Jan next year.
    Can't bloody believe it.

How happy am I????

[​IMG]

this happy!!!
    [​IMG]
    And here's a pic of the band!

My book 'The Guide to Successfully Stalking' will be out in all good book stores for Christmas!

14. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

you can see the jam here...

The ending is really funny