Mike Landau at the Baked Potato last night

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by infrared72, Nov 14, 2010.

1. infrared72

infrared72 Member

Despite some brutal traffic from OC, I was able to make it to this show last night in North Hollywood. I ended up going by myself, and I was floored. I picked up his double live cd (released 2006) a few months back, and I got to hear a lot of those songs between two sets his band played. Great dynamics and some unbelievable improvisation and solo work.

If you ever get the chance to go see this guy, DO IT! You'll be glad you did.

2. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Nice I live right by there. Love the Potato. Never seen Landau though. I love the sound in that tiny room. Incredibly loud but never painful. It's like a small and tight rehearsal space :)

3. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Landau is my favorite guitarist. If I lived near the BP, I would go to every show I could.

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Me too! The BP is great, but I have not had the chance to see Landau there. I may go to San Francisco in December to see Renegade Creation. Landau is one of my top 3 favorites and has been for years.

5. john b

john b Member

I saw him maybe two years ago with Robben Ford. I'm still thinking about that show! Picked up that double live '06 cd shortly afterwards and it remains some of my favorite live guitar music.

These guys will be at Yoshis this Dec. in Oakland for a few nights, can't wait!

6. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

Saw Mike for the first time in awhile, about a month ago at the spud... Man oh
    Man. He just killed me. I think he's better than ever. He certainly is one of the greatest guitarists on earth.

7. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

He really is. Whether he is solo, supporting others, he is spot on in every role and still retains the groove and feeling. Plus, his tone is always perfect for the situation.

8. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

One of my favorite guitarists as well. I wished he would come down to Austin for a show.

9. dnumde

dnumde Member

Be glad that you guys could at least do a road trip if you wanted to, I have to travel halfway around the world to even step foot in LA!

That said, catching Landau and some others at Baked Potato is on my to-do list top 3.

10. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Tell me about it. The guy has a musical maturity the I admire. He knows when to play and when not too. Amazing musician.

11. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

I think he's playing the 24th in Mystic, Ct?

12. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

I had the pleasure of seeing and meeting him at the spud during namm 08 with guitarzan, Ben Farge, and Bill Chapin. Besides Josh since he is good buddies with Mike, the three of us had our jaws on the floor the whole time...That was the most complete guitar performance I have ever seen. Thats the best way I can put it.:bow

13. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

14. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

I saw ML at the Baked Potato in October two nights back-to-back. Was awesome! Great shows and great playing. I got to chat with Mike a bit too. He's at the top of my list these days. He so sublime - things you don't notice at first that you hear later are out of this world. Crazy good and cool!

I was also glad to get the opportunity to go to the Baked Potato, there are not any clubs in NY like that. Cozy and really laid back. I loved it, I hope to get out there again.

15. vinney57

vinney57 Member

Yep. Two weeks in LA just for the gigs is on my list - soon Godamit....

16. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I seen Landau several times at the Baked Potato. Always impressive.

The magic of the Baked Spud is the size and intimacy of the venue... It is a cozy dive, where you get to sit close to the players.... Seeing Mike Landau in this setting is always inspiring.

Landau is incredibly skilled as a player, but it is his sense of musical dynamics which sets him out as one of the best. He is a unique stylist, with a great ear.

17. teanio

teanio Member

Yeah man, I caught him at the BP the another night also, WOW. Ive been hooked on him hardcore for the last few months. I've never seen anyone with such unique playing, beautiful fullness in tone and such a huge dynamic range. Thats the first time I seen him live and Im still in shock. One of the most expressive players ever. The band killed it so hard too, so much dynamics and so musical.

18. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Bliss = Watching ML killin' it. :)

He is an amazing player.

19. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

20. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I can't wait till he comes back to Moe's Alley Jan 30th. He is one of the most beautiful, dynamic and creative players I've ever seen.