• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Mike Oldfield Tone?

How do you get Mike Oldfield's guitar tone from any of his albums? What effects pedals, amps or guitars can I use to replicate his tone?

whackystrings

Casual follower of his work, here...
I have seen/heard his performances using a Strat, a PRS, and classical. It sounds like no one else. He definitely gets those fingernails in there for all picking.
If I was to going to cop Oldfield tones (and I am not going to, but *if*)...I would definitely use moderate-to-heavy compression, very little-if-any ambience or modulation.
Probably go for a very good tracking harmonizer effect for those 8ve+ harmonies or even 100%mix high pitched lines...his very quick left hand vibrato is more classical in nature (rather than typical blues-based perpendicular movement to the string).

huw

If I was after a 'quick fix' I'd grab an SG junior with a single P90, grow my fingernails and start to work on my fingerstyle picking and (very importantly) right hand muting.