Mike Portnoy opinion about new Pink Floyd and leaving DT

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by M138, Jul 9, 2014.

1. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Supporting Member

David Gilmour said 'no'? Last I heard was that David Gilmour had been hoping that Waters would return. Gilmour even gave Waters a big hug a few years ago.

2. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I wish therhodea had responded but, since he didn't, I will just say......if he meant in sales figures, then yeah, PF has way outsold DT, but if he was talking talent/musical ability.........at some point it becomes subjective, but the guys in DT are, imo, supremely gifted musicians......but, sales wise, they're no Madonna!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

3. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

The idea of Portnoy publicly telling Gilmour what he should or shouldn't do under the Floyd name, and how he should treat the PF legacy, is a joke, and in supremely bad taste.

4. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

And rightfully so. 5 years off? I doubt a working band like Dream Theater wants or can afford to do nothing for 5 years. What would Portnoy do during those 5 years? Sub with other bands while his bandmates watched? The guy's got balls. I'll give him that.

5. morsecode

morsecode Supporting Member

Mike is entitled to his opinion around PF and I respect that.

But his quotes around his leaving DT were three years ago after he left the band. And btw, no where is he comparing DT to PF...this is typical TGP...he's only paralleling the circumstances.

6. burningyen

burningyen Member

Nick Mason last year:
    Gilmour in 2011:

7. jtm622

jtm622 Member

There ya go...

I've gotta believe that deep inside, and way past his obvious insecurities; Portnoy KNOWS that Floyd is way out of his league and that any comparisons he may make between he and Gilmour are akin to comparing Millard Fillmore to Abe Lincoln...

8. frennis

frennis Member

Don't see the problem with his comments. He's entitled to his opinion of PF as a fan of the band just like anyone else.
    He's comparing the chemistry between the main members of both bands, and in no way comparing his band's success or importance to Pink Floyd.

9. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

ONE poster wrote "DT is no Pink Floyd" and hasn't been back.

What does that mean?.....Portnoy's a bad drummer and couldn't hang with PF???

10. mikebat

mikebat Member

It's MP's opinion. Just as all of us have about 1000 things.

The problem is that his opinion is clearly just a way for him to voice his feelings about his old band. He is just saying that like Waters departure invalidates PF, just as his departure invalidates DT.

This is an old wound that he keeps picking the scab off of.

11. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

You and 2HBStrat are the only ones who can read in this thread!!!!!!

I swear, if I said that my mom was born on the same day as Jimi Hendrix' mom, people would say "haha, he's comparing himself to Jimi".

12. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Exactly.

13. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

As usual you cherry pick when replying. First off keep Madonna out of it. She's not a Rock artist. Both PF and DT are in the Rock (and/or prog) genre.

And the issue is not who can play the most notes per second. It's who's been more successful and influential.

Do me a favor: Go to Google and type in "10 Greatest Rock Bands of All Time".

I'll wager most of the lists you find will have Pink Floyd pretty high up. And I'll also wager that you'll be hard pressed to find a top 10 that includes Dream Theater.

Good luck.

14. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

How on earth is the issue who is more successful? There's no test to see how successful you are before drawing comparisons for one's own purposes and musings.

If there were, this board would be entirely silent.

And of course Allan Holdsworth, Miles Davis or Anton Webern couldn't voice an opinion about Justin Bieber if they wanted either since they haven't been as "successful"

Sometimes this board is sheer madness.

The other times, it's worse.

15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Well, not to debate whether Madonna is a rock artist or not, but maybe I should have used Elvis as my example.....is Elvis a rock artist? Both of them have outsold DT and PF.....or maybe LZ....you know who they are?

16. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Successful and influential. In the context of saying that DT is not in the same league as PF. That's all. I love both bands by the way.

Elvis, Zeppelin, and Floyd are all in the same league.

Dream Theater are not even close to the same league.

17. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

To be fair, Portnoy didn't want to take 5 years off. He said something like 1 year off after the DC&SL tour, but the band was immediately ready to start writing and recording. He then said he wasn't ready to go back into the cycle of write/record/tour with DT and he decided to leave and the band moved on without him. Not defending one side or the other, but he wasn't requesting 5 years - that's crazy.

That being said Portnoy really should stop bringing up the breakup in the press, he sounds like a whiney bitch (and this is coming from a big fan). He has made some good records since leaving including the new Transatlantic which is fantastic and the Winery Dogs. The guys from Dream Theater have clearly moved on, they never mention it all. Why the hell can't Portnoy just keep his mouth shut about it?!

18. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

Waters wasn't involved in TDB, I'm not sure why he should or would want to be involved with this album now.

Whatever my expectation of what a Pink Floyd record is or who should be on it...I will be happy to hear David playing.

Also, Pink Floyd were successful with Syd doing the writing then RW/DG etc then RW then just DG. It was ALL Pink Floyd.

It's just a different era...get over it or don't buy it. It's like saying its not Rush without John Rutsey.

19. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Floyd was mildly successful with Syd and Dave doing the writing. Floyd was massively successful with Waters doing the writing.

Are you really comparing John Rutsey with Roger Waters?

20. bilbal

bilbal Member

Any (inferred or not) comparison of he to Waters and/or DT to Floyd is laughable. Take yourself a little less seriously Mikey-boy.