• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Mike Soldano designed the Wiggy?

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
Soldano designed it? Did not know that. I remember one sitting in the local mom n pop shop, back when those were a thing, forever. It was ugly, and there was nothing about it that made me want to plug in. Looks like a washing machine. Ugh.
I did come away from that store with my first boutique piece of gear, though. A Zinky Mofo, #13. That was the beginning of the decent, the downward spiral of gear obsession. Damn you, Bruce Zinky! :)

Shnook

I had a Wiggy when they first came out. If I remember correctly I think James Brown was with Peavey then and helped design that amp. It was based off of some bass amp Frank Zappa had and liked a lot. Certainly not a conventional looking amp but it was a tone tweakers dream. And had a killer crisp clean tone. I used it with my band for years.

Echo Are

Actually, I think Dweezil Zappa was the guy behind the looks of the amp. I remember reading in an interview back then that he wanted the look to invoke images of vintage sports cars, their dashboards, or something. Also, the amp uses Peavey's Transtube circuitry.

Shnook

Actually, I think Dweezil Zappa was the guy behind the looks of the amp. I remember reading in an interview back then that he wanted the look to invoke images of vintage sports cars, their dashboards, or something. Also, the amp uses Peavey's Transtube circuitry.
Correct. Dweezil designed the look of the amp. Oddly, Peavey made 2 or 3 tube versions of the Wiggy which is what he used on a few TV shows and a brief tour with Lisa Loeb.

Soldano designed it? Did not know that.
I don't know/think that's true...The auction only says that Soldono signed it...Speedster was located in Gig Harbor, WA outside of Seattle and closed up shop awhile ago. I'd bet that the amp was taken to Soldono (who's only ~50 miles from Gig Harbor) for service at some point and was signed then.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member

ArtDecade

I don't they are as bad as people that hear with their eyes make then out to be.

Solid state has it's place
Zero people in this thread have commented on the tone or taken a jab at solid state. Rather, we are using our eyes for their actual purpose and commenting on how ugly these amps are.

Seth L

Zero people in this thread have commented on the tone or taken a jab at solid state. Rather, we are using our eyes for their actual purpose and commenting on how ugly these amps are.
I tried to find a video with one that sounded good and failed. Maybe someone else can do so.

NortheastHick

Silver Supporting Member
I played a couple of those when Daddy's junky music was blowing them out. Just awful. I think they were asking $200 for the heads and $100 for the cab. I should have bought one just for the ugly factor.

INX

Soldano designed it? Did not know that. I remember one sitting in the local mom n pop shop, back when those were a thing, forever. It was ugly, and there was nothing about it that made me want to plug in. Looks like a washing machine. Ugh.
I did come away from that store with my first boutique piece of gear, though. A Zinky Mofo, #13. That was the beginning of the decent, the downward spiral of gear obsession. Damn you, Bruce Zinky! :)
Lol My MOFO # 20 was mine...had the real 6P3S-E Russian Military production Sovtek 5881 rebrands removed by the seller to be replaced with the cheap imitation sold now...had Sovtek 12AX7's too. Led to me studying tubes, bias, cabinet wiring, guitar tone controls/electronics/values, cables, the whole 9 yards.

Trending Topics