Mike Soldano retiring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by matt3310, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Wyatt Earp

Wyatt Earp Member

I don't recall? It's been years since I've owned an SLO. I played mine on the crunch mode 80% of the time. Seems to me, that V2 did have an effect on the gain side though.

2. jnug

jnug Supporting Member

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I've been gone from the forums for years, kids and no time. When i do come back, i find out Mike Soldano is retiring, HUGE shock. I wasn't even going to post anything but Soldano's were a huge part of my world coming up learning and playing guitar.

I started playing Soldano's 20+ years ago when i was just getting started playing guitar. They were the first "boutique" amps i owned coming over from using Marshalls. I've owned every Soldano amp model except the BCM 44 and the Hot Rod 25. Owned 2 SLO's, my last SLO and last Soldano was one of the few black chassis SLO's that were made at the time, no clue if anymore were made.

The talk about the amps going up in price, collectors, and how hard it's going to be to possibly find one, possibly, i can see that happening. There has always been one piece of Soldano gear that Mike stopped making years ago that i was never able to get my hands on and that was a Surf Box. I can't remember how many were made but i could never find one. I finally quit looking when i stopped using Soldano's. I see theres some used ones available now but with hefty price tags.

I always felt the SLO's response to pick attack and tracking was slow, felt i was having to wait on it to catch up. I new it felt different than my Marshalls but it didn't bother me until i started really developing as a player. I talked a lot with Mike over the years, tried a lot of things to try and improve it but in the end that is just how the SLO is. A lot people it's not an issue, it really depends on your style of playing i guess. Finally i just had to move away from Soldano's.

Improving the SLO is what i wished for and waited around for so many years before finally moving away from them. It was clear Mike wasn't going to do anything different. I understand guys want the SLO and i get that, but the SLO could have stayed and a new updated model or version added to the line up. Especially if it addressed some of the issues and technical aspects brought up in this thread, especially some of the technical stuff Allen? Carol-AnnAmps brought up and see what would come from it.

I can understand this. When you experience and spend time with an SLO and really feel and hear what it has sonically running cranked up it stays with you. Even though i don't use one any more its still my favorite sound. If Mike addressed the issue i had with the SLO i'd sell all my gear and switch to them. I've never wanted to make a clone or own a clone of an SLO. I'd only want it if it was built by Mike or had his seal of approval.

wntbtw likes this.
  3. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I had a Surf Box and Space Box. It was nice but certainly not worth the money to me.

Jerrod and jnug like this.
  4. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

For me the hr25 addressed all the things that kept me away from the slo, mainly the loop and the huge clean power amp. I have never compared the two, but am very happy with the hr25.

I haven’t noticed the slow response on the hr25, but I will have to listen for that and see if I notice. With all the gain stages, it would be too surprising to me though. Did you notice this on both channels or just the overdrive channel? The overdrive channel has more gain stages than the normal channel if the schematic I found online is correct

5. easyed

easyed Supporting Member

FWIW: His building is still for sale. I don't know if he will shut down the company or sell it.

6. MichiganEsquire

MichiganEsquire Member

Just listened to his appearance on tone talk once again, and the timing of this all is so surprising. As of January he's talking about a revamped SLO, and appears pretty excited about it and other projects/products.

7. Sirloin

Sirloin Member

“Always keep ‘em guessing”

MichiganEsquire likes this.
  8. MichiganEsquire

MichiganEsquire Member

Yeah, I guess, but it was such a departure for him. He's always been steadfast about the adequacy of the SLO's loop and other idiosyncrasies, only to basically acknowledge its short-comings under the intention of releasing a "new and improved" SLO.

Who knows, maybe he'll have a change of heart given the revamped interest in his products. Or maybe the interest is just those looking to cash in....

I dunno...

9. Egnodin

Egnodin Member

That's what the Soldano Avenger is for. No loop, single channel, loads of aggressive attack and transient response but it doesn't sing like the SLO even though it's advertised as having the same preamp section as the SLO.

jnug and CJReaper like this.
  10. Jim S

I don't think Mike knows yet.

Anyway, it took me two years to find one of these about 12 years ago and I jumped through international hoops to get one. No affiliation but priced about the same as years ago:
    https://reverb.com/item/17405789-soldano-sm100r-purple

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    LPMojoGL likes this.
  11. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

The Avenger is one of the best high-gain amps I've ever played, and I'm not usually a fan of "High-Gain" amps because they often sound too buzzy to me. Not the Avenger though, that thing roared like a lion!

Egnodin, Jim S and grind1 like this.
  12. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

Man...you kinda need the rack preamp (which are rare) too, though, right?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  13. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Jim S has THE nicest Soldano stuff!

Jim S likes this.
  14. justin

justin Gold Supporting Member

I have an SLO with the depth knob that I bought new last spring. Ive been thinking about selling it. What are they going for right now? I see what is being asked for on Reverb but you can ask for anything.

15. gmcelroy

gmcelroy Member

$3500 and up

16. Jecht

Jecht Member

They're dirt cheap. You can't give them away. I'll take it off your hands. :D:D:D

MattH likes this.
  17. Jim S

I think it would be miraculous to find one for less than $4000.

18. jnug

jnug Supporting Member

Both channels. I guess you could call it "sag". Some people like a lot of it in an amp and others like a certain amount. Like i said it really comes down to playing style and personal preference of what people look for in how an amp feels or responds to your picking etc. I feel like this is very subjective topic when comes to the SLO or any amp for that matter.

Yes, the Avenger does have a quicker response but you are taking an entire channel out, the loop etc and stripping it down. I owned an Avenger and really liked the way it responded but it couldn't get as smooth sounding as the SLO. All Soldano's are based off the SLO but none can match it, they all seem to get 90% of the way there. I think if somehow the response of the Avenger or Astroverb could have been put into the SLO i would have been happy. Once again all very subjective.

19. MCSS1970

MCSS1970 Member

Dave's had one for $1999 a couple of weeks ago. I missed it.