Mike Soldano retiring

frankencat

Guitarded
Silver Supporting Member
The end of an era. Mike and previously Bill Sundt are good folks who have helped me out many times over the years. I am proud to have have owned and enjoyed Soldano amps in the course of my musical career. Best of luck and best wishes in the future.

ItJustRocks

Gold Supporting Member
I was able to get a HR25 in September from Soldano. When it arrived the lead channel didn't sound right. Mike did some trouble-shooting with me over the phone and after a replaced tube it was 100%. Mike couldn't have been nicer and the amp just oozes quality. I encouraged him to make a book with a collection of photos and stories he's gathered over the years. I think that would be really cool.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Gold Supporting Member
I spoke to Mike. His shop is closing end of this month. I think my SLO in progress may be the last one built or second to last.
Wow! Just wow! I can't help but think that this is just the beginning of a massive paradigm shift in the boutique tube amp world. Alan from Carol-Ann amps got an engineering job and has gone to building part-time now. What's next? It's kind of scary to think of how many of these great existing builders are going to make a living....

Jim S

Gold Supporting Member
I can't say who yet but Soldano was bought. Its in good hands ;)
Must’ve been in the last 4 days.
I made a suggestion to Mike which he liked but I can’t imagine the deal was done so quickly.

BrentSP

Supporting Member
Must’ve been in the last 4 days.
I made a suggestion to Mike which he liked but I can’t imagine the deal was done so quickly.
Unless my source is unreliable but I doubted. The offer was made a while back. My source was providing what he had left of trannys but now that company to is not making trannys any longer either (not DeYoung). So not sure what tranny will be used going forward. I suppose a copy of a DeYoung but that’s me speculating. So now they’ll be a post Mike Soldano and Pre Mike Soldano. I hope the new SLOs are so damn good sounding with a newly designed loop that actually works that it drives the used market back down. Tired of seeing these used $5000 to $10000 SLOs up.

Last edited:

Iceman8.6

Unless my source is unreliable but I doubted. He was providing what he had left of trannys but now that company to is not making trannys any longer (not DeYoung). So not sure what tranny will be used. I suppose a copy of a DeYoung but that’s me speculating. So now they’ll be a post Mike Soldano and Pre Mike Soldano. I hope the new SLOs are so damn good sounding with a newly designed loop that actually works that it drives the used market back down. Tired of seeing these used $5000 to $10000 SLOs up.
Yes but is it really a SLO if Mike himself didn't build it? IMO Somewhat of a gray area.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Gold Supporting Member
I have utter respect for the Soldano company. They have made some amazing amps in their history. The SLO is no doubt an iconic amp. But, to replicate it or improve is not impossible. It's not rocket science! I hope the new owners seek to improve this iconic amp....
Last night I fired up my SLO build and was so pleased with the tone and response. I kept asking myself, "why wouldn't Soldano improve it over the years?"

I suppose this is a moot point now...

technomancer

Supporting Member
I have utter respect for the Soldano company. They have made some amazing amps in their history. The SLO is no doubt an iconic amp. But, to replicate it or improve is not impossible. It's not rocket science! I hope the new owners seek to improve this iconic amp....
Last night I fired up my SLO build and was so pleased with the tone and response. I kept asking myself, "why wouldn't Soldano improve it over the years?"

Aw come on, it's fun watching the pixie dust crowd that thinks 2 properly assembled amps with the same components will be completely different based on who held the soldering iron. No need to bring common sense and logic to the table. (Not to mention the guys holding SLOs to sell when the price hits peak will get pissy)

BrentSP

Supporting Member

I agree 100% I think he’s a super guy but also a little stubborn maybe. His mindset was “I’m just building this amp for me not everyone else, if you like it great” and made some money while at. He’s came up with an iconic design that propelled the high gain industry.

Aw come on, it's fun watching the pixie dust crowd that thinks 2 properly assembled amps with the same components will be completely different based on who held the soldering iron. No need to bring common sense and logic to the table. (Not to mention the guys holding SLOs to sell when the price hits peak will get pissy)
Yup... like the guys who think a Hiwatt is worth a lot more because someone wrote Harry Joyce on the chassis in blue felt marker.

Cheers
TRJB

Jim S

Gold Supporting Member
https://reverb.com/p/soldano-super-lead-overdrive-slo-100-head

Here's your miracle. There's another for sale too similar.
Odd. :confused Wasn't that amp on the market forever at an absurd price of $6k or more?

What makes an SLO an SLO?
If has same components including the unobtainable DeYoung transfprmer, it's an SLO to me, regardless if Mike or his right hand or even left hand man wired it up in an authorized or 'approved' shop. Not someone's basement.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Gold Supporting Member
What about those production SLO's that don't have DeYoung transformers? Are they not SLO?
There are not a lot of them out there, but there are some out there....

Trending Topics