Mike Soldano retiring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by matt3310, Aug 14, 2018.

1. MichiganEsquire

MichiganEsquire Member

That would be the perfect solution to the effects loop issue.

2. aussie_gear_maestro

aussie_gear_maestro Member

Nothing wrong with having 2 at all . I don't have a problem with it as I love the amps .

It just surprises me in the guitar World with the evergrowing quest and desire for more .

On a positive note Rockin it out in stereo with delay pingponging from each speaker cab would be awesome to hear .

3. aussie_gear_maestro

Didn't mean to offend anyone it was more a question of curiosity of 200 watts.

4. Vai81

Vai81 Member

Don’t think anyone got offended mate, nor should they. Owning musical gear is not that serious! SLO’s have been popping up for sale in aus every now and then. I was lucky to snap one up before the price hike. Keep an eye out for one.

Btw, how do you like your Fuch’s? Did you get it at Eastgate?

Wyzard likes this.
  5. aussie_gear_maestro

Let me tell you about Fuchs I tried every amp worth naming until I bought the Fuchs and what surprised me about them are those heyboer transformers the low strings really have this wide open full and rich sound to it on the clean channel.

But soldano has a killer lead tone which is unmatched they sound respond to transient information quick and focused like a laser

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Vai81 likes this.
  6. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

OK here is my take on this Soldano BAD chapter. I have owned many amps, and have even built a couple myself after taking Bruce Egnater's amp building seminar. If the design is by Mike, which it is, and the parts are true to Mike's design ( remains to be seen ) and the assembly is done by people who know what they are supposed to do...neat soldering etc...( which I'm not too good at so I don't very much ) the new amps should be just as good as the old ones...period. Theres no magic in this, its design, parts and workmanship. If all three are in tact, it doesn't matter who does the assembly. I use Mesa amps now, and I know Randall Smith isn't sitting at a bench soldering my next Boogie...he has a talented crew doing that. If the guys at BAD are good, and they stick to sourcing the right parts, the new amps will be great.

7. Stone Driver

Stone Driver Silver Supporting Member

All very good points. I think the only thing I know will be missing from the new ones are the coveted DeYoung transformers, which are apparently a important component. That said, hell they could be better with the new transformers, or just a little different but equally "awesome".

I have a Hot Rod 25 in addition to the SLO and it sounds outstanding and very similar. I can tell some subtle differences compared to my SLO (headroom by design, not a lot of cleans without guitar volume knob manipulation, improved FX loop (admittedly I don't use it, wet/dry all the way!!!) etc), but that doesn't make the HR25 an incredible amp to me in it's own right.

Anyhow, I'm a pre-BAD Soldano owner and love them, but I'll be the first to admit that I hope the new ones are even more impressive. My current ones aren't going anywhere, but I always love to see products continue to improve and advance through time to the benefit of everyone. Very excited to actually see and hear the new models so I can stop speculating, and enjoy them for what they are. I like that (to my knowledge at least) they aren't calling it a SLO; I think that would fuel the fire about the differences in components, etc and create an unattainable comparison. But a name like a "SLO 2.0" with updated FX loop, new transformers, and any other bells and whistles might be more universally accepted because it's marking a "evolution" of the model, not a part for part recreation.

blackba and v-verb like this.
  8. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

I pretty much agree with you. I personally stopped using the SLO as my gigging amp of choice when I had to sell because of an extreme financial hardship. When I rebounded I bought a Bogner Shiva with the solo boost, and since then that has been a requirement for any amp I use as my go to...I'd love to see them add that feature to the new SLO V2, as well as a more even taper to the volume so I could get the great tone at club volumes. If that were to happen, I'd have to look at it again as when it was cranked, nothing was ever better...period.

Stone Driver likes this.
  9. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mike did make an SLO with two lead channels . It was for sale a couple of times on Rig Talk (a while ago) .

Stone Driver and blackba like this.
  10. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

I missed out on the tweed SRV SLO100 few years back, I walk into GC in Hollywood and sitting there was a new one and they had a customer who was selling his used one, I decided to think it too much and lost those 2, lessons learned- go either your initial gut.
    Mike made a few slight variations over the years but amazing he kept the SLO100 DNA intact.

11. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

Yes and he did make me a SurfBox to replace one I got that was DOA. Still kicking myself for selling that one along with everything else in the fire sale of 2000. Ouch

12. aussie_gear_maestro

I seen anSLO for sale with a tween scoop mod with tweed covering signed by Mike . Good amp for a collector. That's a part of rock n roll history.

13. aussie_gear_maestro

I'm really interested in the hotrod 25 does the "Variac "thing he did to it in the power amp section work well? And what's the clean like , I guessing it's similar to a SLO in crunch mode?

14. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Interesting, do you know if he also made one with two normal channels?

15. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have not seen nor heard of one like that. Maybe that Blues City SOLDANO 44?

blackba likes this.