Mike Stern chorus type sound in a pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by alanfc, Feb 6, 2006.

1. alanfc

alanfc Member

I'm looking for a loose approximation of the Mike Stern chorus-ey sound.
    In a chorus pedal. Something that has a blend knob too.
    I know he's not using chorus but thats what my ears hear....

Mike says:

"I use an SPX-90, which is an old Yamaha signal processor, and just for this harmonizer patch. It’s one of the sounds, which I use as kind of a chorus effect, and it splits the sound, so it’s kind of pretty stereo sounding, kind of big sounding..."

No way do I have the budget or even halfway understand what he's talking about. But I'm hoping you might have some suggestions.
    So Chorus pedal, not too colored, want subtle, quiet,
    don't need syrupy, swirly any of that.

Thanks

2. fractal

fractal Member

Type "SPX-90" into this web page and I think you'll like the results...

-Garrett

3. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

He used the mxr stereo chorus before the spx90. Which is more expensive now then the used yamaha.

4. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

I would suggest you to try Yamaha UD stomp or Magic stomp.

I coudl get a chorus sound pretty close to mike stern:D

5. alanfc

alanfc Member

good heavens....

Well,
    It kills me to see that, but I have to have a pedal to simulate it somehow.
    I'm flummoxed enough with 10 min. set-up tear down times at gigs..
    Maybe I'll pick one up at some point for recording :)

Thanks though really.

6. alanfc

alanfc Member

Is my desired tone (approximation, not copy ) going to have to come from a stereo setup? I just want to get close, not change my ways too much :)

7. alanfc

alanfc Member

8. Fernando

Fernando Member

The DLS Chorus~Vib has a blend knob and I can get pretty good Mike Stern tones with it. Plus, it can do a bunch of other stuff too, like a pretty decent leslie sim.

I'm done looking for choruses after this one. There are some really good samples at the DLS website. Note that you can set it way more subtly than the samples show, in order to get closer to Mike Stern.

9. mbutler

mbutler Member

If you're really on a budget, try an Arion SCH-Z. I just got one from Musicians Friend for $19 and it's great. I know everyone says it's not the same as the original SCH-1, but who cares? It's still a great sounding chorus for next to nothing. And if it breaks, buy another one.

10. alanfc

alanfc Member

OK thanks-

the DLS "C-V", this is the one thats still in production, and the other one, is not back out on the market yet is that right?

I think with this new band I'll have this pedal on most all the time, for subtle enlargement and width/fill. Trying to convince the guys we don't need a keyboard player.!
    (I find myself using my reverb pedal alot for this music and its taking too much touch away from my sound)
    So I don't mind spending alot. I'm pretty cheap but with this I need to make an exception.

11. landru64

landru64 Member

steve khan uses an ibanez DCF10 and his sound is a bit similar to mike's. the problem with finding a pedal to do this is i think mike's characteristic tone really comes from a flange/pitch shift program. probably something like two pitch shifts, one a couple of cents up and the other a coupla cents down, combined with the original signal. ivery big sound! it's pretty cool! maybe the tc scf can do it....?

12. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

+1 on the Yamaha UD Stomp or similar. It is a great sounding and flexible pedal. Allan Holdsworth programmed a bunch of the presets. A huge part of Mike Stern's sound comes running stereo amps. The Yamaha is actually more like having 8 delay pedals interconnected than a dedicated chorus pedal. The chorus/flange effects come from the phase cancellation that happens as different time delayed signals are mixed together. I remember reading either Pat Metheny or Mike Stern did not specifically like the chorus "effect" but liked the sound of the different delayed signals mixing in the air that comes from a stereo rig.

Shawn.

13. alanfc

alanfc Member

OK thanks its going to be interesting. I will do something for sure. Printing thread now :)

14. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

& Metheny had 3 amps & only the 2 infront of him had the lexicon ddl for the 'chorus' sound

15. erksin

erksin Member

I'm not familiar w/Stern's tone, but the DLS is an extremely versatile chorus. The Blend knob is a godsend, it's stereo, and the tones are fantastic. I don't think there is a chorus unit out there that can touch it's sound and features for the price. DLS has great customer support as well...

FYI - the C~V is still in production, it's the Ultimate Chorus that has been discontinued...

16. alanfc

alanfc Member

OK thanks