Mild and Moody Overdrive for a (clean) Fender amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Snufkinoob, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Member

Rat is king, but I'm considering the following:

Boss OD-3
    Subdecay Liquid Sunshine
    Way Huge Saucy Box
    Blackstone Mosfet

Maybe a Timmy, but apparently they don't seem geared to go with a Fender amp?

I built a Bluesbreaker/PoT pedal for someone not long ago, and that was pretty neat so I might go in that direction too.

I tried a Mad Prof Honey Sweet Honey ages ago and quite liked it, but it didn't have quite enough gain and was a little uninspiring.
    Same goes for the Klon actually. Just kind of boring. :hide2

Or is all this fairly pointless, and the real key to this having the amp on the edge of breakup?

:beer

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. ratedepth

ratedepth Member

EQD Dunes. Covers the various types of clipping you mentioned and can do a range overdrive voicings. Stacks well too.

3. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Looks like you're looking low gain 'more' pedals.
    I think Timmy should work.
    Subdecay Liquid Sunshine is one I'd consider.
    Greer Lightspeed / Vertex Steel String / One Control Honey Bee maybe some different flavour but are low gain drives with similar use.

Barber LTD & Game Changer are also very versatile pedals.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  4. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

There ya go! Fixed it for ya.
    ;)

5. wakd

wakd Member

Blackstone Mosfet is a great pedal, was my go to for a long time into clean Fender amp, lately though I have been running the Fairfield Barbershop which is a little more subtle and a little more dynamic (although the Blackstone has the bonus of being two channel).

Snufkinoob and Tabor like this.
  6. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

Definitely the Fairfield Barbershop. They can mod it for approximately 10-15% more gain if you ask nicely.

7. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Woah, that's a bold pedal. Thanks.
    Is that a knob (the turd) ?

8. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

Buffalo FX TD-X. Very creamy in the mids OD based on the BK Butler Tube Driver.

9. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

Well, there's an actual Turd Fuzz-

https://shop.drno-effects.com/product/turd-fuzz/

But I was just being silly; you probably already know this, but Mason (the owner of Vertex) is more famous for his misadventures than his quality products- at least around here. And by 'misadventures' I mean he screwed a lot of people, eventually it came to light, but he lied, doubled down and denied everything, until it became painfully clear to everyone he was lying and he was losing endorsees en masse. Then, and only then, did he come clean and apologize and try and 'make things right'.

He has framed it as this- he's a good guy who got in over his head, and then panicked and made some mistakes. And I'm open to the idea that this could be true. But regardless, I'll never buy any Vertex products, I'll never recommend them, and I'll make the occasional silly comment when someone else does!

I believe people make mistakes and I believe everyone deserves a second chance. Luckily, there's always a fresh batch of doughy-eyed 14yo guitarists raised on YouTube who don't know the backstory, and *they* can afford him his second chance. Because it definitely won't be from me! I'd rather play the Turd Fuzz than the best Vertex pedal (except maybe the wah!).

But so to not further derail this thread with troll bait and other batches of yesterday's news-

OP- try a Kalamazoo! It might be just what you're looking for!

Snufkinoob and Vaibhav Joshi like this.
  10. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

not to just throw another pedal in here, but, it’s cheap. Nobels.

11. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

The Blackstone was one of my favorites for a while but just like @wakd I moved on to the Barbershop (into BF fenders set clean or on the edge).

I also tried a Liquid Sunshine and it was yet another solid option. I just prefer the Barbershop.

The MuAmp stuff is another option (jack orman, Bad Bob, fulltone fat boost). There’s even a two knob Bad Bob now.

Another nice one is the Greer Special Request. One knob dirty jfet boost.

Left field idea: Hungry Robot mosfet breaker.

wakd, Snufkinoob and RYAN1987M like this.
  12. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Ok, I didn't get it the first time. That is actually the name of a pedal, I thought you were making a suggestion.
    A lot of people love the Lovepedal Kalamazoo, just like most of their pedals. I'm not sure what it does exactly but is some low gain thingy.

13. Major Dude

Major Dude Member

Greer Lightspeed brings a little magic when placed first in the drive chain

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  14. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Thanks for taking the time to highlight something that matters more, ethics over products.
    I am very slightly aware about the issue & did actually read his letter I believe. What I didn't know was that he tried to deny it as much as he could.. and everyone becomes a victim later on, that's what the letter felt like.
    But I agree with you. In this industry, it's very important to understand where you stand & question some things. Although a decision to use something is personal, which is understandable but one should be aware of some background & be able to make that decision based on something more than price & convenience.
    When getting info on Chinese clones, I came across various opinions floating around on it & all this relates to how I feel about big vs small manufacturers myself.
    I found that I was more comfortable with someone cloning the product from a giant (Boss/Ibanez) than I was with small boutique guys being affected. I feel hesitant to include my Timmy clone when posting on the forum & this became even worse when I saw Paul C being part of the forum as well.
    However, I like it when one is forced to think beyond & make an informed choice.
    This is important!
    Thanks again.

Snufkinoob and LikeAMotherF like this.
  15. saladin

saladin Supporting Member