MILD Drive tone from ABSOLUTELY clean amp??? Please help!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ol' T-Bone, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Ol' T-Bone

Ol' T-Bone Supporting Member

What pedal, or combination, would let me take something totally clean, and low volume, like a Twin on 2, or a SS jazz amp, and make the "BF Deluxe on 4" sound?? Just something very mildly grindy for doing root + five - root + six on the 2 bass strings. You know, el dummo rock. I've used small amps and attenuators for years and I can't get that smoothness out of a stompbox (unless I crank up the gain up further than I want to). They all sound gritty, farty, or harsh. I'm looking for something that you could maybe leave on all the time, even be able to do non-dissonant chording with it. I'm not talking about doing this partway--must sound right! Somebody's got to have figured this out by now--please-- I know it's not as simple as it sounds---

2. theelectic

theelectic Guest

BJF SBEQ. The thing with a Twin (or any Fender really) is if you whack the front end with just the right amount of extra bass signal, it'll crunch up without getting farty. The SBEQ just does that, while adding a touch more grit on its own if you turn up the level, maybe as much as a Tubescreamer with the Drive turned down all the way. Very very light, but very very sweet :)

3. madsr

madsr Member

the lovepedal COT50 would be a good place to start and end your search IMO

4. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Those are great suggestions and I'll throw another, lesser known one as well:

Slow Burn pedal, made by Bob McBroom of Pedalworx.
    It was a limited edition thing, but I think he had some extras made or some left over.
    I think they were around $100.00 shipped.
    Great LOW GAIN OD. Wide range with the TONE knob and alot of volume on tap.
    Knocked quite a few things off my board and sounds amazing running into my clean channel on the Shiva.

http://www.musicgearsource.com/slowburn.html

5. DamianP

DamianP Member

The best thing I`ve tried for that sort of thing is the Durham Sex Drive.
    I regret not buying it.:mad:

6. beachwail

beachwail Member

i like my ZENDRIVE for that purpose.

i use it on all the time when I play "jazz-volume" acoustic-type shows. sometimes i also use my TONE PRESS before the zen set for a boost with very little compression. It smooths things over just enough to give that bouncy feel of a slightly driven tube amp. I've always thought many tube amps on 2 sound a bit harsh. Some don't. :)

7. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

All good suggestions (COT adds too much of a Marshall type EQ curve to be thougth of as a BF Deluxe on 4. IMHO of course) and I'll add the Barber LTD or silver LTD.

:) Bob

8. Ol' T-Bone

Okay, I can see this is going to cost me...at least I don't need 2 or three of everything, like when I researched pickups! I'm researching everybody's suggestions as they come in.

Theelectric: thanks, I wouldn't have considered the BSEQ because I thought it was just a dedicated EQ. Was considering a BBOD already, but they're not on the website--Discontinued?

TravisE, yes, I have a TIM on order already, haven't heard one. though. Hope I agree with you!

madsr: yes! audio files #1 and #4 are the light OD I'm looking for...I hope that's all coming from the pedal--lots of demos have the amp approaching the "edge of wetness" to start with, rather than a clean amp. I definitely need to check these out.

Mouldy and nerve--thanks--these are new to me so I will check them out.

Beach- it turns out Mr. Hermida and I have a mutual friend and I have already decided to add a Zendrive at his recommendation. I figure if it doesn't do the lo-gain thing for me I'll still like it as a real OD. Thank you, I hope our ears agree on this as well.

Thanks everybody...still taking suggestions.....

9. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

You will almost certainly think I'm completely mad :), but a few nights ago I got a really nice sound like this using a Boss Distortion-Feedbacker into a Peavey 50W PA head into an open-back cab with a 15" JBL M30 (that's a clean amp ;)). I had the pedal set to full level, zero distortion, tone about 9 o'clock, and it sounded surprisingly like my Mesa Blue Angel on the 6V6 setting.

Try a Digitech Bad Monkey too. A lot of people say it's a 'Tube Screamer' type pedal - I didn't hear that at all, it sounded far more open and less middy to me. And it had absolutely none of that annoying 'detached' fizz that most solid-state overdrives do. $39. Really.

10. Ol' T-Bone

Bob, I have an LTD on loan from Marc Vee, one of EMG's clinicians/endorsing artists. I haven't had a chance to try it at the lower settings (this can take some tweaking) but I fired it up and got a great EJ violin tone right off the bat. I like it, so does Marc (wearing a disguise and playing passive PU's these days).

11. erksin

erksin Member

I have to run my amps VERY clean due to volume constrictions - the Timmy is the best thing I've come across for that 'barely breaking up' style OD. I used to have a Reverend Drivetrain II for those tones, but the Timmy does it much better IMO (better low-end clarity, and the overdrive quality is much more complex and dynamic). I'd guess a Sparkle Drive would also work well for that purpose - but I have no first-hand experience with one.

If you have a Tim on order, I'd be patient and see if it does it for you - Paul C certainly has the formula worked out for the low-gain grind pedals. I bet the Tim will work beautifully for you.

12. trisonic

trisonic Member

I'd agree with John on the Bad Monkey - that's how I used it into a BF amp.
    Can't go wrong for the price and I don't like Tube Screamers either.

See Ya! Pete.

13. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

Eternity-little more of a tweed sound,but I think it otherwise fits your discription.

14. madsr

madsr Member

I do very easily get those super light OD tones playing through my 15 watt fender pro jr with the volume on 2 and the knob on the COT50 between 9 o'clock and noon....it's just one of the best pedals I've ever had...in fact I like it so much I'm waiting on a vibe made by Sean also...I may be giving him alot of my business in the future...

15. D.G.

D.G. Member

1. SIB Varidrive w/ Mullard 12AT7 -- No if's and's or but's, it's the best. I suggest a .01 pf (102) cap across the outside legs of the volume pot for buzz control.

2. Cooltron Big Ben -- If you want to inject some British midrange coloration into your tone

3. Tech 21 Double Drive -- Suprisingly versatile for a cheap solid state box.

4. LTD -- I don't have the silver mod, but the LTD classic with a midrange trim mod is quite good.

16. slacker

slacker Senior Member

Blackstone Appliances Overdrive

The brown channel on min gain does a very nice 'edgey' light overdrive. Whether you like it or not is another thing.

17. theelectic

theelectic Guest

LOL don't you just love it how 12 different people are giving 12 different answers? :)

I don't know if the BBOD is discontinued, but if it's not on the musictoyz.com website, it's bound to be on the custom-sounds.com website, and/or Donner's Tone Safari (google for the link). Even if it is discontinued I'm sure Bjorn Juhl (username BJF around here) can make it for you, or make you something specific given your requirements. Of course it's bound to be pricier than other more common pedals, whether or not it's worth it is up to you.

The SBEQ is really an amazing pedal. I've had mine a month and I'm still working out all the little nuances inside it. A search will bring up a bunch of threads, but I suppose in a nutshell, it's way more than a simple EQ. It does very very light OD, you can use it as a treble booster, fix the acoustic electric quackiness, etc. etc. Everyone who has one seems to come up with a different use for it. In my case, I've settled on using it two ways (for now) - with a slight volume boost, treble cut and bass boost to crunch up the front end of my Twin, and with a slight volume cut (or unity), treble boost and bass cut to prevent fartiness when I have my amp turned up. As you may already know, Fenders can get farty/muddy when cranked up, cutting the bass before it reaches the amp works better than the old trick of bright switch on and bass rolled all the way down.

If I can borrow a good microphone off someone, I'll see if I can make a short clip to illustrate.

18. Tchello

Tchello Member

19. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Wow! EJ violin tones from a LTD into a clean amp? Are you sure it wasn't a Burn Unit or DD?

The LTD and Silver LTD are extremely low gain devices. I'll even go out on a limb and say there is NO WAY a LTD can get EJ violin tones from a totally clean amp.:D (OK someone prove me wrong):rolleyes:

Bob

20. Ol' T-Bone

Bob, you are correct, sir! I meant I hadn't had a chance to try the LTD in a clean rig at lower settings. I had plugged it into my Guytron at the gig (a theater) after the show before the tech crew killed the worklights. I have the "clean channel" set up for a little crunch already, and any extra push causes more OT saturation but little volume increase, as the EL84's are starting to compress already.

I MAY have had a Klon adding a clean boost as well. I just pulled a TS9 off the board and stuck the LTD in there, set the way Marc had it. I think he generally runs an additional boost or OD with it as well.

Sorry, I just got a little excited over getting a recognizable signature sound almost by accident. This setup with the TS9 can be pretty congested with mids, but with the LTD it had that nice singing clarity to it. Almost raspy, but in a pleasant way--not shrill. Those EL84's in the GT were cooking at this point though--NOT a clean amp. Thanks, you definitely know what an LTD does......