Mild Relic?

Can I get a poly finished strat to look like this
maxresdefault.jpg

by just playing it, sweating on it (from playing), not wiping it down, and dropping it a couple times from knee height (maybe onto pavement)? or it this an exclusively nitro look?

Zezozose

Are you an alcoholic? I have a black Affinity strat that is all beat up like that, but it had a hard life before I stopped drinking.

Are you an alcoholic? I have a black Affinity strat that is all beat up like that, but it had a hard life before I stopped drinking.
Right through to the wood like that? Just from normal (albeit drunken) use? How often did you gig the squier (like daily for a couple hours?), and for how long (I'm guessing in the ballpark of 10 years?) before it reached this point?

paulvcarter

Once I started using guitar stands and not propping them up on amps my guitars stopped looking like this....LOL

Zezozose

Right through to the wood like that? Just from normal (albeit drunken) use? How often did you gig the squier (like daily for a couple hours?), and for how long (I'm guessing in the ballpark of 10 years?) before it reached this point?
From throwing it around and driving it in my trunk with no case. I just abused the heck out of it.

Ejay

I have gigged, jammed, abused, played tennis, coffee tabled, watched tv, had breakfast with one for 15 years straight. It consumed probably 200 gallons of beer, 2 liters wine, and countless ciragettes......and judging by the picture u posted......it needs at least 80 years more of this to get the wanted result.

So...depending on avarage life expectations for males in the future...maybe a yes.

Mine has kinda retired from active duty..so i wont be able to give you a heads up. :)

Btw...your picture reminded me of this guitar and (underpreciated) player

Last edited:

cap10kirk

Poly won't wear like nitro, no matter what. Poly will wear, but not the same way, and nowhere near as quick. But that's kinda the point of poly, it's a lot tougher and will look new a lot longer, plus spraying poly is better for the environment (those are also the same reasons cars aren't painted with lacquer anymore like they used to be).
If you want your guitar to look like that, you only have two good options imo. Either refinish it with nitrocellulose lacquer and play the crap out of it for 40 years, or buy a new guitar that's already finished in nitro, and play the crap out of it for 40 years.

itchyfingers

Gold Supporting Member
Maybe in the hands of a seasoned relic-ing pro, but for average joes like us, poly will never wear like that. I agree with T92780, get a nitro MJT if that's the look you're after (even one with no wear, as it WILL wear like the photo in the OP).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom