• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Miles Davis - He still had "it" in 1989

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I remember watching this show devotedly. At the station break, Miles says something like "I've had a sore throat for thirty years...." in that Miles rasp.

I'm also a fan of all the Miles eras, with the exception of the mid to late 60's leading up to "Bitches Brew".

Barquentine

I remember watching this show devotedly. At the station break, Miles says something like "I've had a sore throat for thirty years...." in that Miles rasp.

I'm also a fan of all the Miles eras, with the exception of the mid to late 60's leading up to "Bitches Brew".
Did you like Bitches Brew ? I haven't had much success trying to get into Miles.

GerryJ

Marcus Miller I believe wrote that tune, but also played a major role in getting him 'back'.

Drew66

Did you like Bitches Brew ? I haven't had much success trying to get into Miles.
I understand that, to me it sounds like a bunch of stoned hippies jamming and if I think of it this way I appreciate it more (some of my favorite music fits this description so, not meant as an insult). I love Miles but my favorite stuff is his earlier years.

wrxplayer

Gold Supporting Member
If you didn't like Bitches Brew (I didn't either), try Live at Carnegie Hall or his seminal Kind of Blue. If you're still nonplussed move on.

Here's a tune on both.

spencer096

wow, that's pretty much the only miles i enjoyed after 1972 lol. or 69. i cant remember.

regardless, this was awesome.

chrisr777

Only concert my brother and I have ever been to together was Miles at the Hollywood Bowl on his "comeback" tour in 1981. He certainly had it then too.

tweedfix

I always felt part of the brilliance of Mr. Davis was the bands he organized and the way he let them jam before he would come in and smoke the tune when he felt like it, he gave his tunes so much space. He hired so many great players. If you guys that don't like Bitches Brew, try listening when you are on peyote, it will then make sense.

OllieDox

That's something that is so great about music. The 'second great quintet' era from 65-68 is not only my favorite Miles period, it's pretty much my favorite music anyone has ever made.

tweedfix

I love the early stuff, too even when he was playing with Charlie Parker, but I can listen to Jack Johnson, In a silent way
everyday. All his stuff was killer and great to revisit.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
That's something that is so great about music. The 'second great quintet' era from 65-68 is not only my favorite Miles period, it's pretty much my favorite music anyone has ever made.
I know! So many people love it, but I've just never been able to warm to it. On the other hand, I love all those "On The Corner" style double live sets from the 70's, and the stuff from his post-retirement era, and lots of folks can't stand either of those eras.

I love the early stuff, too even when he was playing with Charlie Parker, but I can listen to Jack Johnson, In a silent way
everyday. All his stuff was killer and great to revisit.
Jack Johnson is my favorite album. Once they settle into the groove and Miles comes in, McLaughlin is on fire, improvising away and Miles plays some of the best trumpet he ever played. It's sublime.

OllieDox

I know! So many people love it, but I've just never been able to warm to it. On the other hand, I love all those "On The Corner" style double live sets from the 70's, and the stuff from his post-retirement era, and lots of folks can't stand either of those eras.
With an artist who had that long and diverse of a career, it's not surprising that there are periods that don't connect with people. There are decades of his music career I don't like but still consider him my favorite or among my very favorite musicians.

Trending Topics