Milkman Half Pint

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rowdyyates, Apr 19, 2016.

1. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

I've searched a long time for a low watt amp that worked for me. It had to have enough headroom to gig small rooms mic'd. I tried Swarts, Z's, and just about everything else and all were lacking. Then I tried the Half Pint - enough volume for gigging (used it at several now), great reverb, the best tremolo I've heard, and the tone I've been looking for. After a couple of gigs I decided to try a 6L6. Didn't add a lot of volume, but gave it a little bigger sound that I like. I was happy as a pig in the sunshine. A buddy liked it so much he got a Creamer with the Jupiter Alnico. Wow! I had to try his Alnico in mine, despite the 8 vs. 4 ohm mismatch. It sounded good enough that I ordered a 4ohm Jupiter Alnico and put it in last week. I turn it up til it's just breaking up with my Tele all the way up. Still not too loud, but plenty for a mic'd gig, and tone I haven't had, ever. I use a Mirage Comp and a couple of OD pedals when I need more grit. Lots of cash for a low watter but this search is over.

2. TeletoneH137

TeletoneH137 Member

Wow, interesting. Isn't that a 5 watt amp? How loud is your band just out of curiosity?

3. rowdyyates

We keep stage volume low and use in ears. We have a full time soundman. In small to medium rooms there's not a lot of drums or bass through the mains, two guitars are low volume and keys are direct. Five vocalists. Our sound is so much better with low stage volumes, and vocals are much more precise.

Crowder likes this.
  4. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

I assume you have the 12" speaker version?

That could get loud enough with 5 watts for a small venue.

Glad you like the Half-Pint; I ended up returning mine.

5. rowdyyates

Yes, the 12" version. Of course, with the in ears I don't really need any stage volume, but I want an amp To move a bit of air. Deluxe Reverb is too loud for our setup. The Swart STR Trem crapped out too early.

6. Reverb

Reverb Gold Supporting Member

Curious how the Half Pint compares to the Creamer? Do find the Creamer too loud?

7. rowdyyates

The Creamer would be fine for most people/gigs. It is too loud for our super quiet stage, but we run a lot less volume than most. The Creamer is in the Deluxe Reverb range. The 50 watt alnico probably gives it a bit more clean volume. The tone is heavenly