Milkman the Amp q&a

MarkV

I was wondering if some of you are still using the Amp from Milkman?

Was looking for one for home use, with cab or headphones.

Does it take overdrive pedals well? How about higher gain pedals, like the Suhr Riot for example?

MarkV

Nobody rocking a The Amp anymore?
Haven’t found really good YouTube reviews either. Guess there was a hype during the Namm release but faded away?

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
I had one for a while. Really liked it but didn’t really need it. So, its sold now. It was a great plug-n-play option. Can’t say I tried it with pedals.

aeolian

It has a high voltage tube pre so it takes pedals well. Not sure about really high gain things, but my PSM seems to work well with fuzz in spite of being super clean. On The Amp you can dial in some gain that should soften up a fizzy pedal.

DaddyDog

I was wondering if some of you are still using the Amp from Milkman?

Was looking for one for home use, with cab or headphones.

Does it take overdrive pedals well? How about higher gain pedals, like the Suhr Riot for example?
It takes them well if you keep The Amp from going into overdrive itself. Set the Volume very low, and turn up the Master. In the beginning, I had a look of difficulty because I use an always-on preamp. I eventually discovered Tim Marcus was recommending just swapping out the tube for a 12AY7. Works like a charm.

HesNot

Silver Supporting Member
Jason Isbell has been putting some videos on Instagram using The Amp with various guitars - I think there are at least two or three (he switches amps day to day) - but the Milkman clips sounded terrific and I've been sore tempted to pick on up as a home practice and even grab and go option.

I would be interested in others thoughts as well...

tklectro

Milkman The Amp ( 50 watt version ) is great for recording direct/headphones/ small clean gig amp...and mine loves pedals: BB Preamp/ Big Bloom/ The Dude V2 all sound good line direct, either XLR or Hi-Z 1/4". I have also used The Amp with a 12AY7 and it is very sweet and more headroom. Would be best to open up the Master a lot and barely open the Volume...although with a 12AX7 The Amp smooshes and grits very nicely with the Volume opened more. It IS line level XLR so it can overdrive a board's channel even with the trim down, even with a 12AY7. I haven't tried it as a " pedal" in front of an amp, but the idea of a backup amp weighing only 3 pounds is a nice thing. if the Deluxe or Ampeg blow a tube. Cheers.

pinkfuzz65

Silver Supporting Member
It really likes pedals. I was running my Thorpy Dane through it and a delay. Played a few gigs with it before everything went bye bye. Haven't played any gigs so haven't used it recently but was really practical for quick set up.

mmmazzz

Milkman The Amp ( 50 watt version ) is great for recording direct/headphones/ small clean gig amp...and mine loves pedals: BB Preamp/ Big Bloom/ The Dude V2 all sound good line direct, either XLR or Hi-Z 1/4". I have also used The Amp with a 12AY7 and it is very sweet and more headroom. Would be best to open up the Master a lot and barely open the Volume...although with a 12AX7 The Amp smooshes and grits very nicely with the Volume opened more. It IS line level XLR so it can overdrive a board's channel even with the trim down, even with a 12AY7. I haven't tried it as a " pedal" in front of an amp, but the idea of a backup amp weighing only 3 pounds is a nice thing. if the Deluxe or Ampeg blow a tube. Cheers.

Thanks for the recommendation (the tube); I have the The Amp 100 and I can only confirm that it's superb in every single aspect that you have mentioned above; I will likely be getting the Amp Combo, or the original 50w b/c of Tim's gorgeous tremolo; the man is a genius.

Thanks for sharing!

zestystrat

Sorry to revive a 3month old thread, but I was hoping to get some more feedback on using it for recording. I was thinking it would warm up a direct signal and share the workload in Logic with the amp sims.

Also, as much as I love giging with my '65 Tremolux and 2x10 cab, the idea of going direct on some duo and other gigs seems really nice.

Blue Bee

Silver Supporting Member
Can the speaker out, di out and pedal out all be used/heard at the same time? Or does one cancel out the other?

zestystrat

I asked more or less the same question of MM:

Me:Can I use two outputs at once ie the xlr to the sbd and 1/4 to my cab?

MM: Yup! They’re all live all the time. -Tim

trumpus

Silver Supporting Member
Is anyone using The 50 or 100 primarily as a headphone rig? I've got a Humbolt Simplifier I'm using for late night/silent playing but its pretty noisy and clips easily. I've been eyeing The Amp as an option for this and also to let me scale down a bit while we are living in a rental.

zestystrat

My $0.02 I think if I was just playing thru headphones, I’d look into units like the Headrush MX5 or something similar.

WahmBoomAh

World Crass Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
Are the cleans fender like?
I would dare say yes... My Amp50 reacts like a Twin Reverb type clean ... not as loud but in that sonic ballpark.
It easily stands up to a Bandmaster type clean in the right cab. I can`t speak for how it breaks up if you're looking for a driven deluxe reverb sound (for ex.) I run it clean.

Dontchaknow

Silver Supporting Member
I would dare say yes... My Amp50 reacts like a Twin Reverb type clean ... not as loud but in that sonic ballpark.
It easily stands up to a Bandmaster type clean in the right cab. I can`t speak for how it breaks up if you're looking for a driven deluxe reverb sound (for ex.) I run it clean.
Thanks, that sounds perfect (looking at the combo). The main things i like over other options are the master volume and also ability to run an extension cab and direct out to board at the same time as well as just be a simple combo. Very versatile tool so i am hoping the sound is good.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom